PDA

View Full Version : Making removable painted RED eyes



Dina
March 2nd, 2016, 09:52 AM
Hi everyone,

I thought I might go through how I tackled making Surrea's painted eyes .. certainly not for the faint-hearted though!


Firstly I made sure I cleaned away any putty residue inside the head using some W&N paint cleaner on a cotton bud.
Personally I use apoxy sculpt, I tried the following technique using sculpey but I couldn't get a good finish, I think it may shrink a bit too much while in the oven.
First I threaded a bit of 24 gauge wire into a 4mm glass bead, then folded it so I had a handle.
I made a pea size ball of apozy sculpt and wrapped it around the bead then let it cure at least an hour so the tackiness was gone .. you dont want this stuff sticking to your RED!!!
Then I dipped the ball into some talc because you really really dont want this sticking to your precious doll.
Then I placed it into her head and into the eye cavity, pushing slightly to impress the eye shape (from the inside). It's important to do them both because you want the same amount of clay protrusion through the eye hole.
And then remove. Save yourself some agony later .. as you remove use a toothpick to prick the bottom edge of the ball and one for left and two for right.
Once cured, I trimmed the balls a bit so they would be easy to install. I left the handles on during the whole painting process which took me forever and forever .. sooo many times over but I think some folk can just do it a lot easier!
When everything was totally happy, I trimmed the handles off the balls.


The result was ugly on the inside, but lovely on the outside :)

Hope that helps!

aneemal
March 2nd, 2016, 12:15 PM
This is really helpful, Dina! Surrea's painted eyes are absolutely gorgeous - I thought they were silicone eyes, they are that good!

Leadinglady
March 2nd, 2016, 05:25 PM
That's great advice Dina - I was worried about placing epoxy clay directly into the eye socket!

Galacticat
March 2nd, 2016, 10:31 PM
Hi everyone,

I thought I might go through how I tackled making Surrea's painted eyes .. certainly not for the faint-hearted though!


Firstly I made sure I cleaned away any putty residue inside the head using some W&N paint cleaner on a cotton bud.
Personally I use apoxy sculpt, I tried the following technique using sculpey but I couldn't get a good finish, I think it may shrink a bit too much while in the oven.
First I threaded a bit of 24 gauge wire into a 4mm glass bead, then folded it so I had a handle.
I made a pea size ball of apozy sculpt and wrapped it around the bead then let it cure at least an hour so the tackiness was gone .. you dont want this stuff sticking to your RED!!!
Then I dipped the ball into some talc because you really really dont want this sticking to your precious doll.
Then I placed it into her head and into the eye cavity, pushing slightly to impress the eye shape (from the inside). It's important to do them both because you want the same amount of clay protrusion through the eye hole.
And then remove. Save yourself some agony later .. as you remove use a toothpick to prick the bottom edge of the ball and one for left and two for right.
Once cured, I trimmed the balls a bit so they would be easy to install. I left the handles on during the whole painting process which took me forever and forever .. sooo many times over but I think some folk can just do it a lot easier!
When everything was totally happy, I trimmed the handles off the balls.


The result was ugly on the inside, but lovely on the outside :)

Hope that helps!

Oh wow- yeah definitely not for the faint at heart! I definitely don't have the guts myself ;)

Dina
March 2nd, 2016, 10:46 PM
Yes Galacticat .. I have had a lot of apoxy clay and resin experience for over 20 years but working with a RED has been super tricky due to her precious nature. Not a bad problem to have though!

merrijane
March 2nd, 2016, 11:50 PM
That's a very helpful tutorial Dina...thank you! Did you remove her head to do this? Trying to work around the ring & elastic in such a confined space is tricky, but I'd be way too scared to attempt to part my doll's head from her body! :D

Syaron
March 3rd, 2016, 01:43 AM
Oh Dina thank you so much for the tutorial! I am going to give it a try! Thank you too for the lovely message via Etsy. You are such a dear and a wonderfully creative artist!

Dina
March 3rd, 2016, 09:16 AM
Hi merryjane, no I left the head attached, I just pulled the elastic forward best I could. Try practising with something less sticky, the sculpey was good for that .. It gave me a better feeling with size of ball, placement etc. i did try and fail with ummmm about 10 pairs in sculpey before I moved onto the apoxy .. By then I had the fitting technique down to a fine art!

Thanks Syaron :)

Tovah
March 3rd, 2016, 09:42 AM
Thank you so much for this Dina! It is so helpful, I will absolutely be trying it myself :)

Mekare
March 4th, 2016, 01:36 AM
Thank you so much for this tutorial :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk