PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to faceup artist in Europe

Mekare
March 6th, 2016, 05:03 AM
Hi all!

Question: Have any of you shipped your dolls from the US to a faceup artist in Europe? How does the customs situation work? Obviously it's not a sale of the doll and it's going to come back, but how do the customs know that?

Would you have insurance?

Would you declare the value of the doll?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allurose
March 6th, 2016, 05:44 PM
I shipped to Russia. The first time I shipped the package I got insurance for $1,500USD (max available), marked that value (had to for insurance to apply) and marked as a gift.

That package had to be returned to me because they wanted to charge the face up artist $300ish in customs (even though marked as a gift).

I resent my package with no insurance, value $20, marked "Barbie doll head" and gift. Risky but the package went through.

Customs has no category whatsoever for this kind of package, so you might as well put Gift IMO. But if the value is too great they will charge anyways.

Sabrina
March 7th, 2016, 04:51 AM
Mine went to Russia also but there was not an issue, and I have no earthly idea why there wasn't.

Mekare
March 7th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Thank you!

Sabrina, did you also ship just the head?

I'll be shipping the whole doll... But customs would never assume that a doll could possibly cost more than a $100, right? :))) That's my hope.

Bibarina
March 7th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Thank you!

Sabrina, did you also ship just the head?

I'll be shipping the whole doll... But customs would never assume that a doll could possibly cost more than a $100, right? :))) That's my hope.

I can only speak for the UK, but here, they are well aware of the value of the dolls, and will charge 20% of the value stated on the package in import duty. Also, if they suspect an unusually low value has declared they can decide to impose duty on their own valuation of the item. They don't always do the latter, but it can happen (it has happened to me!). It's unfortunate, but so far I have found no way around it. It also does not make any difference if you mark it as a gift, as if it's over a certain amount, they will charge regardless.

Mekare
March 7th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Good to know! I'll be shipping to France. Anyone shipped there before?

Also, could you be technically taxed twice? When you send it there and when it's sent back to you? 😁

Grevling
March 7th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Mmmhh I was told something recently, that because the "gift" option was really abused, as soon as they see it it's like a red flag on it for the postal service customs....
Not sure if it's true but it came from an "insider" so I think it was reliable.......

Petraskova
March 8th, 2016, 06:19 PM
It is difficult to ship items to Foreign Countries. Anything can happen to a parcel when it is in transit. Especially when it's Marina's dolls.

Galacticat
March 8th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Good to know! I'll be shipping to France. Anyone shipped there before?

Also, could you be technically taxed twice? When you send it there and when it's sent back to you? 😁

Dolls aren't taxed coming into the US, but France has a very hefty customs fee- I seem to recall that it is over 20% of the stated value. And understating the value is dangerous because you then may be limited in how much insurance you can recover if something goes missing.

I would be afraid to send my doll abroad. Six months ago I had an irreplaceable package to the Netherlands go missing somewhere in between our customs and theirs. I am positive the fault was on the USPS but a lengthy investigation revealed nothing. :(

Sabrina
March 10th, 2016, 04:01 AM
Mekare- I shipped the whole doll and insured her for 2500 USD. I really am uncertain why there wasn't a problem with customs in Russia. I have shipped a doll to France and the recipient was charged a hefty customs fee (I insured for 800 USD, but also marked her as a gift). The recipient was keeping the doll though.

Mekare
March 10th, 2016, 04:25 AM
Scary stuff :( I feel like the best way to go is to send with a trusted person, huh.

Petraskova
March 10th, 2016, 06:34 PM
It's the mail system that bothers me sometimes. Mistakes can happen , and it is very difficult to get help, when it is cross border. It happened to me with an expensive French, Jumeau doll. It was damaged when it arrived and I tried to get some compensation for it and it took about 6 months and they said that they can do nothing about it. And I had insurance on her. Very frustrating. It is scary stuff, Mekare.

skulptress9
March 11th, 2016, 02:26 AM
Petraskova, is your doll send away now? I have a doll in the mail right now coming from the US and let me tell you, I won't be happy until she is in my hands! When I bought my porcelain Enchanted Emma she was living in Britain and did the world tour before arriving at my house. I thought both the seller and I would lose our minds with worry!

Petraskova
March 11th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Skulptress, no she is not sent away anywhere. I bet you were stressed out! Especially when your porcelain was travelling around the world.

Galacticat
March 12th, 2016, 01:51 AM
It's the mail system that bothers me sometimes. Mistakes can happen , and it is very difficult to get help, when it is cross border. It happened to me with an expensive French, Jumeau doll. It was damaged when it arrived and I tried to get some compensation for it and it took about 6 months and they said that they can do nothing about it. And I had insurance on her. Very frustrating. It is scary stuff, Mekare.

Yes I also found out the hard way about Canadian insurance- you have to show that the package was damaged in transit- otherwise, not covered.

I think one of the issues is not knowing how insurance will work once the package crosses a boarder.

Mekare
March 12th, 2016, 06:16 PM
The problem with mailing a doll like this, is the fact that you can exactly replace it. Everyone is trading across borders back and forth, I feel like the cut-off for taxes is way too small.

allurose
March 12th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Shhhhh no horror stories please my doll is currently traveling between countries! :O

Petraskova
March 12th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Good luck on her safe arrival!

Mekare
March 13th, 2016, 05:16 AM
Shhhhh no horror stories please my doll is currently traveling between countries! :O

OMG! 🙊

No more horror stories :)

Sabrina
March 13th, 2016, 07:05 AM
Allurose- your girl is beautiful and positive and will arrive to you all safely!

allurose
March 13th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Allurose- your girl is beautiful and positive and will arrive to you all safely!

Haha thank you! I'm sure you are right, the truth is packages are very, very rarely lost in the mail. I ship many many thinks and it hasn't ever happened to me at all.