+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anatomical Correctness & Nudity

Hybrid View

Anatomical Correctness & Nudity

I thought it would be interesting to hear people's views about the anatomical correctness of Marina's dolls. Is it a bonus that makes you want to display your dolls nude? Or do you want to cover them all up?

For my part, I love that these dolls are quite anatomically correct. It's so refreshing after resin dolls with vague or non-existent genitals, or worse yet, the traditional fashion doll look (Barbie, eew). Dolls appeal to me partially as a way to depict the beauty of the human form, and I don't believe any part of that should be taboo or inappropriate. Woot to Marina for designing ED's this way!

And yet...I avoided showing my 96 year old grandmother pictures of these dolls because of this! Are there situations where doll nudity seems less appropriate to you?

EDIT: Let's not forget those gentlemen! Does the gender of the doll effect how comfortable you are/would be displaying your doll nude? I feel like the male EDs are not quite as detailed as the female ones. People that own male EDs, do you find this to be true?
    Last edited by allurose; July 31st, 2010 at 03:56 AM.

ziggytaku is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    i think it is depend on the doll, some dolls have such a wonderful tattoos you just do not wanna cover it is the beaut-ea of the doll. Me personally do not like to pose my dolls nude i like to kip it to my self, simple for the fact that not all the people will or do understand the beaut-ea of the nude doll and i do get offended for that i think they are lovely and delicate
    And i like to play dress up very much CZ you can create an any cerrector you wish lovely fantasy your tinny fairytale ^^ so i always thrill what some one do some thing new with their ED^^. I think the body is beautiful made to the very thin detail and i agree with you i will not show it to my grendmama too he heh she will think that it is a shame.

Tatie^^
    Never stop dreaming, if you have a dream you have reason to live for. Don't let them die pursue them achieve them and find another to pursue.

Oh interesting topic, I am an artist for me there is nothing beutifuler or more complicated than the naked human body. The usuall english reserve doen't really work in my house hold, we all know what each other looks like and i don't feel enbaresed about nudity, whether a person or a doll. I've shown my perents and my sisters pictures of the dolls, but i have had to be carefull with some of my friends who get uncomfortable. Marinas dolls are very beautiful and so well crafted they stand on there own as nude dolls. Personally I would dress my doll (if i owend one) in exentuating clothing or not at all. But i also understand about tailoring to and audience. When i was little i used to paint the nipples on barbie dolls and the pattern of the nickers. I got confused about why they wern't atomicaly correct and asked my mum some strange and probubly enbarising questions. I love the fact that they are so refreshing! Why can't they make barbie more like ED's. Girls could have a desent role modle then....

It took me a while to get used to seeing Marina's dolls fully nude. I'm relatively used to bare breasts in art, but for a while I'd look at them and "LOOK AT MY BRIGHT PINK LABIA" was a bit distracting from the rest of their beauty. I'm accustomed to it now, so it's just part of their forms and doesn't bother me.

I do think that when I have an ED I probably won't display her nude. I'm guessing a lot of people would have the same reaction I did and it might stop them from realizing how amazing she is (since they're not going to be hanging around staring at her for hours like we would). I'd probably still let others see her nude if they asked.

I think Biscuitbear has also mentioned that she feels it's important to treat her dolls like people and I think that would hold for me too. If I want to think of them as people, it seems more polite to give them clothes in public.

Valeria: I completely agree. Young girls need accurate models of the female form in all its variations so they can know that they are "normal." It makes me sad to think how much of a scandal it would cause if Barbie was anatomically correct... Anyone can see what the human form looks like (or at least one example) if they just look down in the shower, why do we have to ban it from dolls like it is some big secret?

valleyviolet: I was distracted at first too! But I really liked it. I probably wouldn't display my doll nude all the time just because I have such a passion for lovely clothes. But I love that I would be able to do so without being irritated by a bare crotch. If I was introducing someone to the doll, I'd probably have her in minimal clothing, bra & panties or similar. That way the nudity(!) wouldn't be a distraction but they could still admire the beauty and the posing potential of the doll.

ziggytaku: I agree, I love the customization that can be done with clothing, so many stories to create!

I agree with you all. I have no issue with the beautiful bodies of the ED being anatomically correct. They are a marvel to behold, like ancient greek statues, and it's almost a pity to cover them, although it's also fun to dress them up and create many new characters with them...

However, I think my mom would faint if she saw them naked and my father would be rather embarassed. In fact, I don't think I would show them some of my own drawings of ED... (couldn't you dress them? where did they leave their underwear?). On the other hand, my husband's grandmother is very openminded and she has all my drawings hanging on the wall of her room in the nursing home where she lives! I bet she'd love EDs!
    So to each their own. In general I would not mind having my ED in her birth attire, but I would probably cover her artfully, in case I had some sensitive guests over.

Astera, you just reminded me. I showed my mom the main website and she thought the dolls were gorgeous. But when she got to Olga, she commented that my grandmother would be so embarrassed by her (grandma's first name is Olga too)!

ziggytaku is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Quote Originally Posted by Astera View Post
    my father would be rather embarassed. In fact, I don't think I would show them some of my own drawings of ED... (couldn't you dress them? where did they leave their underwear?). On the other hand, my husband's grandmother is very openminded and she has all my drawings hanging on the wall of her room in the nursing home where she lives! I bet she'd love EDs!
    he he my little brother(21) got embaresset too he heh heh in fact he terned red eh he he ( i like to teeth him some time that he steel in the puberty stage)
    And i wish my grandma was like yours it will be fun
    Never stop dreaming, if you have a dream you have reason to live for. Don't let them die pursue them achieve them and find another to pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by allurose View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to hear people's views about the anatomical correctness of Marina's dolls. Is it a bonus that makes you want to display your dolls nude? Or do you want to cover them all up?
    Are there situations where doll nudity seems less appropriate to you?
    An interestingly timed question. In the boutique I work at, we have an Enchanted Doll prominently displayed in the front display window, and large A1 posters of her hanging above the display. Ophelia is displayed completely nude, in a deliberate, and well thought out decision.

Recently, Victoria Buckley's proud use of Ophelia came under fire from facebook because of her "nudity" - I won't go into it again, but if you're interested you can see the thread here: Save Ophelia

Perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask, because as an artist I am so used to the nude form being differenciated from the "naked", and being viewed as a depiction of the artful and the beautiful, rather than being synonymous with lust and depravation.

I think a nude doll, even with quite realistic anatomia, can still be posed modestly, beautifully, and serenly.
    --> Remember, even a fully clothed person can use their body language in a way to be a hundred times more offensive and suggestive than a decently posed fully nude form.

For my part, I thought I would display my doll fashioned in intricate little costumes that I made for her - this has ended in me selling/giving away most of the items I made because I never keep her dressed. She is so beautiful that she just stands around in the nude, like a little muse from classic times.

I view marina's dolls as artworks, and I think it would seem quite ludicrous to walk through a Fine Art gallery and see all the beautiful Roman ans Greek sculptures covered up in sheets to "protect their modesty". There is nothing vulgar about them - same goes for Marina's dolls.

Now, I'm, not advocating against dressing them, I did just mention I do enjoy sewing little costumes for her, I just don't see anything to be ashamed of if they're accidentally seen by a family member in the nude. Yes - even by children.
    enchanted doll outfits: www.orchidsdesigns.blogspot.com
    my artworks: www.monikaviktoria.com

It's interesting this topic came up just now... I just finished reading an early children's book by Gregory Maguire (of "Wicked" fame) called "Daughter of the Moon" which was ridiculously hard to get my hands on, though his other books aren't. As I read it, I kept watching and waiting for whatever it was that caused public libraries to shun this book.

Half way through, I found out: Erikka's aunt--an artist--has come to visit and becomes a cherished friend to her. In one scene, Erikka is in her bedroom watching her young aunt preparing for a dinner engagement. The aunt undresses completely while Erikka reflects admiringly on how beautiful and graceful, yet strong, a grown-up lady's body is. Then the aunt sits down on the bed with her, still completely nude, and they chat companionably--until the step-mother walks in on them and, red-faced, orders Erikka to "give her aunt some privacy!"

So there it was... I think the problem was not so much what the librarians thought of this scene as what they thought parents would think. Same with Marina's dolls: it's not so much what I think of their nudity that needs clarifying and discussing--it's what the people around me think I'm thinking about it.

Fortunately my immediate family all seem to get it. My friends have been more shocked at the price than the dolls themselves. I do have one friend who refused to go past the Enchanteddoll.com landing page, but what she was reacting to was neither the nudity nor the anatomy--it was the "cuts" in the bodies at the joints. They looked violent to her, and it was the violence she didn't want to look at. All I could think of was to explain rather lamely that we're used to them and they don't strike us that way...
    Last edited by Ruth; July 31st, 2010 at 04:28 AM.
    www.hometoyren.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information