+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Anatomical Correctness & Nudity

Yes, a doll from Marina is a piece of art, and I completely understand wanting to make a doll as real as possible. I had to make this decision when painting some of my Asian resin dolls. In the end, I left off the pubic hair..
    As a painter, I've looked at the nude for years, but the one pose I refused to paint was a nude woman with her legs spread, which is the only pose in which you see all the genitalia on display. I'd still refuse it. I think some things are just private, and I agree with Biscuitbear and with Eiko on this topic.

Jslord - I have to completely agree with you.

I have never actually had the experience of a life-model spreading her legs. I can tell you I am sure both my eyebrows would raise.

Secondly, I would have to ask: What sort of (life drawing) model would pull such a pose? Not a very professional one....

I have actually heard of an art class that had this happen to them. They did not realise their young model had a rather dubious other job where she was also required to be unclothed.
    When one of the students innocently remarked how very flexible she was, the model replied, "Oh you haven't seen anything yet, check this out!"
    I heard the class froze in shock and the teacher, a little old lady, just about had a heart attack.

Needless to say the model was not asked back for future lessons.

This is a case of someone not being able to distinguish appropriate (nude) behaviour from the inappropriate, and just because she was nude in both her jobs, doesn't mean what is encouraged/ok in one of them, is at all appropriate in the other.

In the case of art, (and let's keep this on track with Marina's doll's, too) there is still a boundary, a fine line, of what is acceptable and what begins to blurr the lines.

Take famous french artist Gustave Corbet, who painted a close-up of a womans crotch (legs closed) - the only reason he got away with it was because he titled it "The origin of the world" and no one could argue that.
    My point being, it was done as something very risque and cheeky, and certainly raised eyebrows.

I wouldn't pose my doll in any sort of suggestive behaviour (nude or clothed) besides the mildly cheeky (think a marie antoinette pose) but definitely not lurid or lustful.
    enchanted doll outfits: www.orchidsdesigns.blogspot.com
    my artworks: www.monikaviktoria.com

I agree with you two, whatever I wouldn't be comfortable seeing a human being do in person, I wouldn't pose my dolls in that way. There is a difference between a doll standing there nude with her hands by her side, or posing there doing some other lurid pose. Just in general, displaying a bare, unclothed doll is just not for me. As I said, I don't care about seeing it, and there's nothing wrong with other people doing so, and in photography I might pose them nude, but to actually display them all day like that... I'd at least put on a dress. How do I put this, she is like a little person, clothes are natural, although nudity is also natural. Clothes can be descriptive of personality, and help me bond and get a better feeling of who the doll is *shrug*.

ziggytaku is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Quote Originally Posted by Astera View Post
    my father would be rather embarassed. In fact, I don't think I would show them some of my own drawings of ED... (couldn't you dress them? where did they leave their underwear?). On the other hand, my husband's grandmother is very openminded and she has all my drawings hanging on the wall of her room in the nursing home where she lives! I bet she'd love EDs!
    he he my little brother(21) got embaresset too he heh heh in fact he terned red eh he he ( i like to teeth him some time that he steel in the puberty stage)
    And i wish my grandma was like yours it will be fun
    Never stop dreaming, if you have a dream you have reason to live for. Don't let them die pursue them achieve them and find another to pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by Astera View Post
    Uh, oh, that's funny!
    ...actually, I wonder how would I feel if the next nude doll Marina mad was called "Astera" (place real name between quotes...): probably honored...but also a bit weird, maybe (yeah and maybe I still have some taboo of my own to deal with, after all :o )
    it a small world Astera you never know, i fill strang that Anna look a little like me (or other way a round ) and steel get teeth by my family and friends a lot :onot in the nice way,but like in the ha haaaaa way, grrrrrr) not my hubby of course he my sweety boo, but it is fun too it kindo make you fill spatial ^^
    so dream on it is all good !!!!!!
    Never stop dreaming, if you have a dream you have reason to live for. Don't let them die pursue them achieve them and find another to pursue.

a bout the posing i think Marina do it so well with her dolls in the photo
    and so elegant they always look so fresh no meter how many time you see the photo^^
    i like how the all of you guys do it hear too, and try to be so creative too
    it is also the form of art to
    i saved so many photo to my comp to look at (i promiss it is for personal use only ) i have my little folder ED photo gelary

Maybe I am less conservative than some other people here, but it would never bother me to see a doll in a lewd position. I would find it interesting and amusing.

Of course it all depends on the doll's character. I totally agree with people's view that their dolls would not appreciate being nude, so they are not displayed nude. But some doll characters might not be modest about nudity or sexualty. To me, anatomically correct nudity is natural and sexuality is also natural. So, it would not bother me personally.
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

On one level I very much agree with you, Allurose. We are very hung up about the idea that a sexually agressive woman is a "bad" woman or the sort of person who has poor morals. I think that's a load of BS. Women are sexual creatures just like everyone else, and we shouldn't expect sexuality to equal morality, no matter how it's displayed.

I should also add to my earlier answer, I'm glad that Marina's given us this choice by making the dolls more accurate. I may not think it's some thing I want to display, but I do think it makes the dolls more real and more human.

It looks like pretty much all of us here are (more or less) on the same boat!

Me, I'm pretty "immune" to anatomical correctness and nudity. I work in the medical field (and so did a number of my aunts and uncles, who I grew up with) and the first times I've seen genitalia of both kinds were in very unflattering, far from sexual situations. The very, very, first being on cadavers. And not until many years later would I see one from an entirely sexual point of view. (I'm a very sad person, I know ;D) Also, I've been drawing naked women from the age of twelve, eventually scouring the internet for reference photos. I've had to hide these photos from most people, though (while my aunts and uncles were in the medical field, my own parents were not).

Ergo, I find nothing wrong with nudity, especially if it's artistic. It's not that I don't find any nudity at all lewd. It's just that... my "tolerance" for it seems greater than the average person's. I have no way to explain it exactly. Non-artist and non-medical peoples' reactions to nudity just surprise me. (And I speak entirely in first person because I really have no way of looking at this from another person's viewpoint. I think it's ridiculous to be bothered by nudity, but I'm sure many people think I'm ridiculous not to be bothered by it.)
    Last edited by Hazel; August 2nd, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
    ...is officially Enchanted doll-obsessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    And I speak entirely in first person because I really have no way of looking at this from another person's viewpoint. I think it's ridiculous to be bothered by nudity, but I'm sure many people think I'm ridiculous not to be bothered by it.
    I understand exactly what you mean But Art is sometimes made for this very reason. TO get people talking and descussing things they wouldn't usually talk about. To define and redefine societies view point and poeples way of thinking. I love the fact that marina gives us the choice, and i have no problem abouth the way the dolls are displayed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information