+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Plans

Big Plans

Okay, winter break in school is coming up, and I'll have a whole month to myself. You know what that means? I'm going to start making some dolls.

I have these ideas spinning around in my head. The thing is, I already have so many characters for other things that I think I want to make a doll for each of them. I LOVE anatomy, so each of the characters I draw has a specific body type of their own. Which means, I'm going to have to make different bodies AND heads.

It seems very daunting, but I'm very excited. I'm already sketching up ways that I can mix-and-match pieces so that I don't have to make so many parts, but I know in the end I'll need 3 or 4 different busts, 2 or 3 torsos, and possibly two sets of thighs. And that's just for the female characters I'm also contemplating different sets of legs, just for height differences.

If these end up being good, I DO intend on selling them as make your own characters, where you can pick your own body pieces to make a doll that is uniquely your own.

So, I'm making my thread and officially setting my mind to starting. Things will have to be worked out, like where I can use a kiln and how I'm going to get everything I need with no money... but I'm just starting with Sculpy which is fairly cheap. At least its a start.

Right now I'm just in the sketch stage. If you'd like to see any of them, I can scan some images and post them in the next few days.

Sounds awesome! I love the idea of interchangeable body parts. Such possibilities! Have fun on break, keep us posted, of course.

Interchangeable dolly parts

Interchangeable parts is a great idea, and will require much detailed planning.
    Faceplates can be designed to change the expression of the doll.
    Flat feet, and feet for high-heels can be made.
    Several sets of expressive hands can be made.

Usually feet and hands are terminal joints, so you may want to consider
    incorporating magnets and mortise and tenon joints for those?

Best Wishes for Success with your Big Plans.

ziggytaku is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    yey good luck and kip as in touch
    Never stop dreaming, if you have a dream you have reason to live for. Don't let them die pursue them achieve them and find another to pursue.

Can't wait to see what you make!
    Lots of photos, please.

Ooh, big plans indeed! Hope you get off to a good start! Good luck

Sounds like a wonderful idea. It will be great to see variety of body shapes and sizes...it will also take a lot of work on your part, but I am sure you'll succeed. Cheering for you!

Thanks for all the lovely comments and support guys I must say I was a bit preemptive in posting this (winter break isn't until the 17th!) but I will keep everybody updated as things happen.

As of now I have a few sketches. I need to get a usb so that I can transfer my scans from one computer to the other. See, I've got a desktop with a scanner/printer and no interent, and I have a laptop with internet that refuses to accept my scanner as its own. So usually I use a usb and scan to my desktop, save to the usb, and plug that into my laptop. But I've lost my usb! So I'll have to get a new one before I can share sketches.

Yes, keep us updated, it sounds interesting!
    Last edited by Orangey; February 14th, 2012 at 07:07 AM.

Little update: I baught some mohair off of etsy today. I can't wait for it to arrive!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information