+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Big Plans

I guess after reading a few different things I figured it would be easiest to get the basic shape by molding with clay, and then refining with wax which can have a smoother finish.

I wish the camera quality could be better, but I can't figure out how to take a good picture with my nikon unfortunately. This will have to do for now, until I can get a decent camera.

Anyway, here is some more. I've done a bit more work on the face and a lot on the torso, which I didn't show before.

At the moment all I have is clay and 3 tools. No sandpaper or anything. So Everything is a bit chunky looking because I'm working with limited materials.

004 by Tovwig, on Flickr

001 by Tovwig, on Flickr

005 by Tovwig, on Flickr

006 by Tovwig, on Flickr

So, she's going to be a big doll then! :P. I think she's looking quite cute so far, I know that you're having difficulty in 3D, I would suggest an anatomy book, and observing people through video . Her face is looking somewhat flat from the 3/4 view, I think rounding it out would work really well! Thankfully, sandpaper and masks can be picked up from a dollar store or so. Great to see your progress, keep going!

I hope not that big! I realize she'll be bigger than an ED, but once I made the head I just had to go with proportions to match that, and I figure if I want to make smaller ones I can after. This one is largely practice.

I've got to be honest Orangey, you've officially scared me into the idea that I'm making a huge doll... I was attempting to make my initial mold 16 inches tall, which through the process I thought shrunk around 20 percent making her a little over 13 inches tall in the end? But now I'm afraid she is huge.

I've uploaded my thinking here.. am I wrong? My sketchbook is 14 inches tall so I separated my sketch into 2 parts - body and legs. In all, the sketch ended up being 17 inches and I might re-do it because of this, and I am already contemplating restarting my parts because the head is a bit too big and the body is kinda odd. I added my hand to show some sort of scale, but, everybody's hands are different so I'm not sure if that helps.

Again, sorry for the terrible quality of the pics. Hopefully I will be able to get hold of a nice camera at some point.

003 by Tovwig, on Flickr

006 by Tovwig, on Flickr

005 by Tovwig, on Flickr

Oops! :P No, just ignore me, you know more than me about shrinkage, because I know nothing . I was going by how big she looked in your hand, her hips are like the size of your palm. I am probably just crazy, keep going, lol~

I don't know anything about shrinkage, but if she is going to be 16 inches, then it's true that she is bigger than an ED (they are 14 right?). Maybe that, along with shrinkage, is what Orangey is noticing. Don't worry, people come in lots of sizes too! Good luck!
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

Alrighty, after my 'big doll' scare, I did end up deciding to start anew with a smaller base. And to my delight, it seems that smaller is my forte. I am having such an easier time making my form and am very happy!

This time instead of starting with a head, I decided to begin with a torso. I left large holes for the leg joints which I will be making smaller or bigger (different, for sure) once I get my booty to a craft store and find some wood balls to use as bases. For now, the head will be on the backburner until I find something I can use for eyes in a similar way as I will use the wood balls for joints. I saw on the ED flickr that for Marina's base heads, she actually uses glass doll eyes to make sure that they are perfectly round inside the socket. I want to do that too, now.

019 by Tovwig, on Flickr

016 by Tovwig, on Flickr

015 by Tovwig, on Flickr

011 by Tovwig, on Flickr

A comparison to the old parts:

004 by Tovwig, on Flickr

Starting this new torso has re-inspired me in a way that I did not know I needed to be re-inspired. I have so many things I still want to do - making my different body types and such - that I realize I can't make myself happy with 'just trying to make one.'

So I'm saying it out loud now. My end goal is to make 3 dolls. 2 female and 1 male. Who they are, I don't want to tell yet... but I am very excited to see them come to life.

Stay tuned! I hope you all enjoy my thread.

I do think I need to get a new camera though, if I want to keep sharing. The quality of these pictures is just killing me. You can't see any of the small details, even if there aren't many yet. Its very upsetting.

But, I'm still quite happy

My torso is coming along and I have also started on the legs. The process of sculpting, baking, sanding, adding clay, baking, sanding, etc. etc. is very extensive and time consuming, and difficult.

If anybody could help me, I have a question:
    What should I do about the divots in my sculpt? There are places that I have sanded smooth, but there is a little chunk that is too far in instead of too far out, that can't be sanded down and needs to be built up instead. When I fill this with sculpey, bake again, and sand it down to match, I end up wasting a large amount of sculpey and am thinking there might be an easier way to do this. I remember reading in some thread here about liquid sculpey. What is this?

I don't know if there's liquid sculpey...but looking at your sketches, I think you might want to have a look again at the legs of your doll . The busts and hips look fine but the thighs and calves look out of proportion...don't you think? Or maybe as you said it's just the photos.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information