+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Big Plans

Yes, such a lovely torso!
    Danae Making Dolls blog:
    danaemakingdolls.tumblr.com

Thank you very much guys Its super encouraging to hear that it is looking good!

So, I have been thinking. I am fairly sure that now that I've started my smaller body... she is going to be TOO small when I finish including shrinkage.

But with this talk about 3d printing, I have gotten the idea, and I would like to know if it sounds like a good one or a bad one:
    1) I will continue to make the doll at this size (since I am really liking what I have done so far and don't want to start over).
    2) I can make just ONE leg and ONE arm. (as well as make hands, feet, and head).
    3) I will refine these parts with wax as I originally intended.
    4) With 3D printing, I can "Size up" my parts so that when 20% shrinkage is taken into account they will be the perfect size. In addition, I can 3D print MIRROR IMAGES of the one arm and one leg I have made, insuring that they are completely symmetrical.

Reasons why this seems like a good idea to me:
    - I don't have to start over to recalculate shrinkage again (which I seem to be bad at, and which with a 3d printing company helping me will be done by professionals with computers)
    - I can insure my extremities are not going to be uneven
    - Plastic master parts (or stainless steel, or whatever material I choose to print in), as opposed to wax (or sculpey or porcelain) seem like an extremely durable, shatter proof, heat proof material to make master parts of, that I can surely re-make molds from endlessly.

Well, that's my crazy idea. What do you guys think of this?

Edit: Although, note I haven't really looked into this very far. I don't know what materials would be available, how expensive this would be, etc. So, it may just be an idea.
    Last edited by Tovah; December 18th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.

Tovah, that sounds like an amazing idea! I know nothing about 3D printing so I can't say anything about it's practicality or price, but I am completely curious to see what you find out, and how that works for you. Even if you don't end up doing it, your reasoning behind this idea seems very sound to me, I like it. And I really like your work on the doll so far, can't wait to see how she turns out. Really nice job

Well if you have a program of your own, I think it would fine doing it that way, such as Z-brush. But I know for Art Cam models which are mostly reliefs or it can be a relief they can charge anywhere around $120 an hour for the programming part of it, I don't know if it's the same rate for machining the parts. But that's the reference I have from Hoover and Strong when they work on files like that. However it would be more economical if you work on the software part of it then send the file over to the 3D printing people which would save you a lot of time. I think Z-brush is around $500-$700, while artcam is much less versatile and costs 10 times more. If they are low resolution parts the 3d printer can cost between $800-$2000 if you want a printer of your own. High resolution is very expensive so it's better to have someone print it out for you. A lot of people sculpt everything by hand because it's much cheaper to do it than have a third party do the work. Model making can be very expensive. However if you do have the money to invest in equipment I would recommend getting your own programs, because if you do a lot of it, it will pay itself off.

Yesterday while at the moll with a friend I found out that the lab he works at has a 3d printer. I asked him bunches of questions and explained to him my idea, he said it was plausible! He just has to ask his higher-ups some of my questions to get good answers.

Anyway, since I haven't made much progress on my doll, I thought I'd share what I got for Hanukkah from my dad!

006 by Tovwig, on Flickr

I'm so excited! I've read it 3 times over already.

And since I don't have anything else to share, here's some mohair I bought a LOOOONNNG time ago in late 2010 from various etsy stores.

010 by Tovwig, on Flickr
    009 by Tovwig, on Flickr

014 by Tovwig, on Flickr

017 by Tovwig, on Flickr

I have red, light brown, and various shades of blond. If anybody would like better pictures, I'm sure I can take some time to do that.

And also, have a picture of my -aha- "workspace" if you can call it that. My house is not the most spacious, so I've been working on top of my dresser and on my couch and in my bed... Its not very tidy.

003 by Tovwig, on Flickr

I also have that book and it is great!

FaceCompilation by Tovwig, on Flickr

Its been a while since I posted, or worked on this project for that matter, but it continues to call me back.

This is the beginning of a new try.. while I liked the body i was working on, it was simply too small. I decided to start with the face this time. I'm going for a Classical Greek look, with the sad sleepy hooded eyes. Its quite difficult to get the look right, as well as keep her delicate and not looking too old. So far its quite rough, but I just popped it in the oven so that what I have can be a stepping off point.

IMG_0772 by Tovwig, on Flickr

IMG_0775 by Tovwig, on Flickr

Face isn't quite right still, but getting there. Obviously needs a lot of smoothing and small shape changes basically everywhere. I think her cheeks and chin are both too pointy currently. Her forehead might come out too far.

Began upper torso.

I don't know what to do about the eyes. The left one is just slightly deeper inset than the right one... at this point, that is a very hard to fix problem and I can't really figure it out. I don't want to start over, but I'm not sure I have a choice.. I might just wait and see if I can fix it in the wax stage.

My boyfriend has started to tease me for what he calls my "Creepy Problem" because I've been keeping the head on my night stand so that I can keep looking at it and finding things to fix it even when I'm not actively working on the clay. He keeps catching me just holding it and looking at it between doing homework and other things. I'm sure it doesn't help that I leave it on the table facing me while I'm at the computer as well. Lol. I suppose I've become quite attached.

My slow project... I haven't made much progress since this last post. University got in the way and for the most part I had to put this girl to the side. I long to start again, always, but as always there is just no guarantee. I remember when I began that I was so excited to make so many dolls, but at this point, I'd be satisfied to just finish one!

I'm in my last semester of school, perhaps soon I will have the time and focus I need for her.

IMG_0427 by Tovah Goldfine, on Flickr
    Her left cheek needs to be sanded down more... noticed that once I took the picture.

IMG_0431 by Tovah Goldfine, on Flickr
    Looking for opinions on her brow/forhead. I keep going between thinking it is too large and sort of liking it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information