+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Entries for the Enchanted Doll contest 2011

Entries for the Enchanted Doll contest 2011

I hope it is all right if I start a thread. If we have two we might delete one.
    For now my pic and the short story.

Florence, Italy, an enlightened town thoughout centuries, filled with artists and beauty.

Some time ago lived a woman there, daughter of a toymaker, the best one he was in his life, who had made the most desired toys of all Florence.

She, grown up without a mother, had after her father`s death become the most enchanted dollmaker of Florence.

She crafted what the rich politician`s, merchant`s and Medici`s daughters desired the most: porcelain dolls that looked like the daughters themselves. Their likeness caught in their best years of maidenhood.

One day the most beautiful of all these maidens, daughter of the richest of all of Florence`s mechants ordered a doll. The dollmaker did as obliged. She painted the doll with a heart on her breast and endued it with the finest of gowns, accessories and jewelry. This doll became too beautiful, more beautiful than the merchant`s daughter, who rejected it, as she didn`t want anything more splendid looking than herself.

Unwanted for a long time, that meant nothing to her porcelaine beauty, the doll waited feeling a hollowness. The dollmaker grew older.

One day the doll raised her voice and asked: Can I become a real woman?

This is only the beginning of her story of travelling the real world in search for a real heart and a life...

More...

Smile

^^ Just beautiful Nada!! I love the story also! I'm just a terrible writer so mine just have descriptions

Here are my 3 entries:

And it’s something quite peculiar,
    Something that’s shimmering and white.
    Leads you here despite your destination,
    Under the milky way tonight.
    This concept is called Under the Milky Way. Inspiration for this concept comes from the song Under the Milky Way, by the group Church. The song was later remade my Sia, whose version I like better. This concept was very entertaining for me because I enjoy anything associated with space. I have been fascinated with the universe since I was a child. Maybe it is because we will never fully understand it leaving so much room to dream.
    Under the Milky Way wears the universe on her veil. It is decorated with stars, swirls, and jewels like precious comets and rocks. Her shoulder decoration is also jeweled with black stones and attaches in the front where the planets sway. The sun, decorated with jewels and beads are where the planets stem from. Around her waist she wears a chain that secures her silver bag of stars, which allows her to replace a star once it has burned out. She wears jewels on her hands and feet as well and moonflowers in her hair bands.

Steampunk Warrior, The Keeper of Time

The steampunk warrior is the protector of time. She was born along side time itself. Her fan, securely in her arm cuff, opens portals into past and future eras. Her mechanical wings allow her to travel through time and space to defend events as they were and should be. Should she fail, the world could be forever altered.
    The warrior wears a black and white dress of Victorian print cloth and leather. She also wears a black and dark brown leather corset and belt. She wears goggles upon her head and is adorned with many Victorian style accessories and mechanical gears from the beaded necklace to the gears in her hair. Her mechanical wings bear feathers of a black swan. She carries many clock hand weapons with her in her everlasting struggle along with her watch face shield. The fate of our world depends on her decisions and triumphs. She has not failed us yet.
    Inspiration for this concept comes from a ever expanding love for steampunk that I possess, all of the wonderful steampunk artists in the world, and of course Marina’s dolls.

Fight

This concept is called fight. Much of the inspiration comes from Marina's newest doll, Surviving. I believe it is a beautiful idea and would love to see more similar to it. It is extremely inspirational and uplifting.
    This idea is also inspired by my grandfather who was diagnosed with Amyloidosis, a rare blood disease that can often be fatal. He was diagnosed in the summer of 2008 and passed away in October of that same year. Although he passed away, he fought for every minute he had. He fought for himself and for his family. My last memory of him before he passed was when he was in his hospital bed and was unable to move or talk because of the tubes in his neck. My dad and I would put our hands on his feet and he would fight to wiggle his toes to let us know he was still there. He was the strongest, bravest man I have even known.
    I suppose this concept is my way of saying fight, no matter the circumstances, no matter what the doctors say. Fight for yourself and for the ones that love you.
    http://thegreatkait.deviantart.com/

Nothing worth having comes easy.

Wow, those are really creative ideas, and can I ask again: does every one of Marina's fans have artistic talent??

I'm going to stop looking at entries.

I would love to post mine as well ( I also suggested the idea some days ago), but still it's not clear to me if posting your entries anywhere before Marina does can put yourself in some risk of disqualificcation. Does anybody know anything for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaEliza View Post
    I would love to post mine as well ( I also suggested the idea some days ago), but still it's not clear to me if posting your entries anywhere before Marina does can put yourself in some risk of disqualificcation. Does anybody know anything for sure?
    I`ll quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Feel free to post your entries on the forum.

All the entries will be made public on the Enchanted Doll website on the 16th.

fine, then! Here are my two entries!

I won't lie, I'm quite happy with them, especially with the twins...
    Last edited by DonnaEliza; March 11th, 2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: can't see images

I don't think your images are working DonnaEliza, or maybe it's my computer?:confused:

Edit: There it goes! Must have just been me.
    Last edited by thegreatkait; March 11th, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
    http://thegreatkait.deviantart.com/

Nothing worth having comes easy.

I only submitted one entry and I am sure there are plenty which are much better than mine.

I have not drawn or painted in years, but I wanted to submit at least ONE good entry. Here it is:

Ixazaluoh Daughter of the Children of the One Law, Last Ruler of Atlantis

(Inspired by historical accounts of Atlantis, the Mayans, and the Psychic visions of Edgar Cayce)

A fair, Brunette woman with long center parted dark hair and beautiful blue green eyes..

Wearing light garments of diaphanous blue/white fabric that are gathered at the waist by a large gold belt. The belt is religious and political by nature with the One Law cross (Mayan cross) in the center and the symbol of her station. Smaller glyphs of birds, plants and animals flow around the belt to the back.

Ixazaluoh is the spiritual and political leader of the last faction of the “Children of the One Law” followers. During the final days of Atlantis, having gained dominance over their island nation, “The Children of Belial” have become intent on using Atlantean technology to satisfy their desire for global domination. To stop them she sacrifices herself and her followers to save the world.

I wish I spent more time on her gown, and it could have had more jewelry, but I think Marina would add or subtract to her liking with this concept just fine

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatkait View Post
    I don't think your images are working DonnaEliza, or maybe it's my computer?:confused:

Edit: There it goes! Must have just been me.
    no, it was me who messed up with imageshack!

Here are my two entries :

Beauty of Venice

"This doll was inspired by Venetian masks and the story ‘Man in the Iron Mask’, the concept of beauty hiding horror. At first glance, you would see only beauty but behind the beauty lies horror. Behind the mask is a lock, preventing the wearer from removing it, ditto the chastity belt. Both represent the control society has over even a wealthy woman’s image and sexuality.

The base of the mask is white enamel. The lips are blue, ditto the eye designs, but these are rimmed in gold. The swirls are gold, and the flowers are blue or purple with pearls at their centre, and other, smaller pearls surrounding them. Behind the mask hangs a purple silk veil, hiding the lock. Her hair is hanging loose and is medium length.

On her fingers, she wears small gold rings. The necklace is gold with small pearls. The belt and shoes are with blue or purple enamel flowers, echoing the mask."

Medical Fetish

"fetish fet•ish (fět'ĭsh, fē'tĭsh) n.
    1. Something, such as an object or a nonsexual part of the body, that arouses sexual desire and may become necessary for sexual gratification.
    2. An abnormally obsessive preoccupation or attachment.

This idea came from a conversation that I had with Marina Bychkova in 2009. Originally, her show ‘Fragility’ would have had the theme ‘Medical Fetish’. So I envisioned a doll that would embody this theme. The title ‘Medical Fetish’ refers to two things :
    1. how society has always had an almost fetish-like obsession with the human body, constantly striving to discover more.
    2. The sexy/naughty nurses stereotype that is a fetish and sexual fantasy in society.

The doll has a tattoo of a chest dissection, showing heart, lungs and other organs. On her face, she would have a look of fascination and interest as she looks at her own organs.
    She is wearing a silver, white-enameled nurse cap with red rubies in the shape of a cross, white stockings with an embroidered red cross on the outer sides and high-heeled red stilettos."
    For more pictures of Gwen, Arya and Moira, click here

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information