+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Entries for the Enchanted Doll contest 2011

Last edited by jonson; March 12th, 2011 at 04:30 AM.
    ----------------

Wow these are all really great. I hope someone on the forum wins. These are all really wonderful ideas. I can't wait to see more and more and more...well you get the picture.

My Entries

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=da5c1fa1ea

Was happy to spend a month painting and researching these ideas. I so want to hold an ED, they never get shown anywhere near my hemisphere. Thanks everyone who is sharing, I feel stuck in limbo its nice to know we all wait together.

Amber

Entry 1 The Dragon's Son

Entry 1: The Dragonís Son

Drawing from many cultures in a NeoOrientalism fashion, The Dragonís Son was inspired by characters in Kama Sutra: a Love Story(film), History of The West Wing (Chinese play), and The Lover(film). These narratives portray pampered princes sheltered from reality in the arms of concubines and opium. The Dragonís Son embodies aristocratic decadence; lounging in ancestral halls oblivious to the rich luxuries surrounding him. A beautiful hand-painted and embroidered kimono accents the carved throne. The prince wears this priceless heirloom like a bathrobe, shrugging it off his shoulders as he slumbers in a drugged oblivion. The thin frame and protruding cheek bones betray a sense of stagnant decay and self indulgence.
    Two Thai inspired crowns, the first is a circular crown with stylized wings the second a flat hair pin of undulating lines and floral motifs. I love that in these traditions male clothing can be just as beautiful as that intended for females. For the Japanese inspired tattoos I chose symbols I felt would represent the influence of family obligation that would have been present in an aristocratís life.

Not really good with digital media, these are all water color on acid free paper. Poor lighting in the photographing, they look so much better in person, hope that doesn't count against me. =^.^'=

Entry 2 Korea

Entry 2: Korea

Growing up surrounded by ancient Korean dishes and grandmotherís stories of the years my family spent in Korea after the war, gave me an intense appreciation for the mystical Orient. My great grandfather, inspired by a dream he had about a blond haired blue eyed Korean child, went to Korea during the devastating aftermath of the war and adopted 8 mixed blood children. This was a very dark period for Koreans, due to cultural pressures and economic hardship caused by the war many of mixed race and special needs children were abandoned in rice fields, kept constantly inside behind closed doors, or even killed. Although the South has successfully recovered the countryís division is a constant blight on the hearts and minds of the Korean people. Families separated for over 50 years, knowing that their loved ones are starving under a totalitarian regime. Defectors from the North escaping into China face the knowledge that three generations of their relatives left behind will be purged to concentration camp factories. These women also risk being caught and returned or sold on the black market as sex slaves.
    In Mark Kalesnikoís Mail Order Bride, a Canadian man with an Asian fetish orders a bride from Korea. For the bride in this narrative, the hanbok which was a symbol of the traditions she left behind became tainted by her new husbandís sexual fantasies.
    My most vivid memory of Korea is the walls of vibrant colored fabric in the hanbok tailorís store. These beautiful traditional dresses would originally portray a personís social status. In my imagery of the Empress I drew inspiration from the monumental golden crown of Queen Sondok Koreaís first female ruler and the heavily embroidered garments of Empress Meyong Seong who attempted to unite with Russia to save Korea from Japan.

I really love the imperial Hanboks and crowns the best, but if she wanted to go more political with the idea a traditional one is better.

Entry 3 Napoleon and Josephine

Entry 3: Napoleon and Josephine Bonaparte
    Napoleon was both an extraordinary character of history and object of my art historical adoration. Many first hand accounts remark on his piercing grey eyes and penetrating expression. Jacqui-Louis Davidís Napoleon Crossing the Alps captures this distinct aspect and could be translated into a gorgeously mesmerizing ceramic work. To rein-vision Napoleon in his youth, a young rising conqueror very much in love with Josephine. In researching this entry I discovered, Napoleon and Josephineís relationship not to be the perfect romance my imagination had idealized for them, but a much more human tale of trial and endurance. Both parties seeking the solace of other lovers when long conquests separated them, but still very much in love with each other. In symbolism I see them as an homage to Venus and Mars, love and war.
    Josephine's interest in botany and art may have been the inspiration behind the creation of "La Description de L'Egypte" a colossal collection of lithography prints detailing every aspect of the Egyptian campaign, from plants and animals to architecture.
    The actual historical figures aside, the clothing of this time period is very beautiful. While artists were setting out to recreate the classical ideals in their own "enlightened" image, fashion was also borrowing from the beautiful Roman works looted during the Italian occupation. Corsets were outlawed in order to facilitate higher birth rates, and a toga influenced flowing dress gained popularity. Although Napoleon too adopted this "roman" revival style for his imperial coronation, I have personally always favored his richly embroidered military uniforms.

It was really difficult to write this essay, I could write a whole thesis on why I have a crush on Napoleon. Also as far as I know Napoleon's distinct expression has never been successfully depicted in clay, at least not the way Marina captures a soul beneath the stains.

I can't upload mine directly to the thread from this computer, but you can see my entries here on my flickr. Bios are in the description for each picture. The last one is not quite as polished since I only had two hours from coming up with the concept to the contest deadline!

PaigeViolet, I agree with you, my biggest hope is that someone on the forum will win (ok, well there is one bigger hope; you know what that is!) We are all in this together, right?

Six days is sooo long! I'm glad we have this thread to keep us occupied!
    Last edited by allurose; March 11th, 2011 at 09:26 PM.
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

I am too lazy to translate my entry
    so, the picures only:

Enchanted Doll 2011 Birthday Contest by elcatka, on Flickr

Enchanted Doll 2011 Birthday Contest by elcatka, on Flickr

The idea is about "marriage of convenience", inspirated by Thumberlina H. C. Andersen
    Last edited by elcatka; March 11th, 2011 at 10:55 PM.

Here are my 3 entries.

1. Oceansoul.

2. Medusa Gorgona.

3. Marie Curie-Sklodowska.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information