+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Sewing Questions

lilithskyblu is offline Excruciatingly Enchanted

Random Sewing Questions

This thread is for questions that you aren't sure which thread they belong.
    Can someone explain to me how is it that I cannot see any stitch marks on the lace blouse Marina is making? Did she use fabric glue?

At first I thought it might be nylon thread, but when I blew it up, I'm pretty sure it is white thread with very very fine stitches. Marina is very adept at hand stitching. So much patience and a delicate hand. I love the lace top so far. She makes such beautiful things.
    It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you get.:cool:
    http://dollutional.blogspot.com

You mean stitches on the sides? if so, I think it would be possible to make the top in one piece (save for arms and collar) if it is open all the way on the back.
    ~ I S A D O R A ' S B L O G ~
    ~ is being constantly updated with new dolly GOODIES and adventures ~
    { Isadora's Atelier on Facebook } { Amarilli's Flickr }

Quote Originally Posted by Grevling View Post
    You mean stitches on the sides? if so, I think it would be possible to make the top in one piece (save for arms and collar) if it is open all the way on the back.
    Yes but where she sewed the sleeve on you can't see any stitches. Dollutional says she sees tiny stitches, but wow, they are practically invisible so I thought maybe she used glue.

Quote Originally Posted by lilithskyblu View Post
    Yes but where she sewed the sleeve on you can't see any stitches. Dollutional says she sees tiny stitches, but wow, they are practically invisible so I thought maybe she used glue.
    I personally cannot see stitches there, but it seems as if the fabric of the arm is folded over only 1mm and in some way secured to the border of the lace of the bodice. That is what it seems by looking at it, but I am no expert so I don't know if this is possible. In this case the stitches wouldn't show because they would be under (in the little 1mm fold).
    ~ I S A D O R A ' S B L O G ~
    ~ is being constantly updated with new dolly GOODIES and adventures ~
    { Isadora's Atelier on Facebook } { Amarilli's Flickr }

That's true. Thanks. I want to sew like that too! :mad:

ziggytaku is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Well i think sins Marina was in the art institute she probably learn how to sew
    there is a thing like hand sewing and it is a delicate work and it is much easier to sew by hands for the tiny doll like ED and of course the stitches are very tiny and it is hard to see, also in the thin lase if you use single thread it is also make the job very delicate ^^
    as for the glue it will be slapey job an less you will use a tooth pick to apply the glue on the edge of the fabric even so it i not such a good idea for the dress so small size ^^
    also for the info there many stitches in the hand sowing that people do not use any more sins the world use to sowing machines and in back in the time it fine sowing it was an art as well a fine couture ^^
    Never stop dreaming, if you have a dream you have reason to live for. Don't let them die pursue them achieve them and find another to pursue.

Scale has to be considered when making costumes for dolls and also bulk.

You need to have a very fine sewing thread as if you imagine multiplying the thread size by 6 and also the stitch length ( for a 1 in 6 doll - it is worse in 1 in 12 scale) - you would have the equivalent of a seam made with string and stitches about an inch long in human scale!

I have found a very fine silk thread to be good for this and then you need the very fine needles to go with it.

Sewing the lace on like Marina has done - you can sew on the actual lace and you won't see the stitches for the pattern in the lace.

Bulk is the next problem and I noticed that Marina's seams are very tiny - on the arms the seam will be to the inside and she has done a very tiny shoulder seam that is then covered by the lace.

The big problem is fraying and unlike full size dress making where you can overlock the seams - this just adds bulk and French seams or similar where the raw edges are folded in and the seams sewn again makes even more bulk.

I found the solution to this problem is Fray Check. it is a clear drying fine glue that seals the seam edges. I generally put a blob on my finger and run the edge of the material through it. Different materials suck in different anounts of the fluid - sometimes I trim the edge after Fray Checking it, as it is too wide. The other problem with it is that some materials slightly discolour - silk is a particular culprit here and you need the tiniest amount on the edges and trim if necessary.
    It is brilliant stuff though - and the most essential tool that I have. Silk is a particular nightmare for fraying, and also fine synthetic chiffons - before I found Fray Check - I lost outfits as they just frayed away - especially some of the 1 in 12 ones I did for the dolls house scale.
    Other people use different compounds for seam sealing - eg Tacky glue - which can be used for glueing seams - but I find it a bit stiff and messy

I will be interested to see the skirt and how she fastens the dress at the back. Small closures are always a problem to find in the right scale. I still use some stuff from the 1 in 12 scale. Anneuk in a different thread has a site link for small buttons.

The other scale issue is the weight of the material - it needs to be quite fine and also the size of any patterns. Large patterns can look good if made a feature of - but often they can look really silly - imagine scaling it up by 6 and the equivalent pattern on a human can be monstrous.

Natalia with her Nastenka is an accomplished seamstress - I noted her dress had a small pattern and also the seams seem to be done in such a way that they are hidden. I don't know if she did - but you can completely line a dress/jacket etc and then turn it right side out and whip stitch the last little bit. That sorts out any rough edges as they are hidden inside. I also noticed that Natalia has used small beads as buttons which look very effective.

Well, I better stop here as I have gone on a bit - quite alot really. I look forward to more hints and tips.

Carolyn, North Yorkshire

I just noticed in the comments under the lace blouse (comment 15), Marina was asked if she hand or machine stitches, and she responds that it was hand stitching. Perhaps it is a special silk thread as CeeJay suggests, but it also may be just a tiny stitch. I'm tempted to ask her if she uses special thread.
    It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you get.:cool:
    http://dollutional.blogspot.com

I once used this very thin clear fishing line type thread to sew tiny beads on material. It really was hard to use as it was constantly getting twisted and stuck. I think it may have been plastic though and not silk. Those pictures make me want to try sewing again.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information