+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Random Sewing Questions

ziggytaku is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    oh yes absolutely !!!!!! love it soooo much
    Never stop dreaming, if you have a dream you have reason to live for. Don't let them die pursue them achieve them and find another to pursue.

lilithskyblu is offline Excruciatingly Enchanted
    It's just so outrageous! I love all the costumes Marina makes but this lacy Edwardian-Victorian tea dress is the stuff of dreams! I definitely hope she does a lot more of it because she does it so well! Think of the possibilities!
    I just bought a bunch of lace. It will be fun to try.

Vintage material for dress making

Can any one tell me if I should wash vintage material before using it to sew a dress or after the dress is made.

I have some material that use to belong to my mother that is more then 15 years old and would like to use it to make some dresses for Mizuki.

15 years vintage? gosh some of my clothes are older than that

I guess you can just treat them rather "normally" ^_^

(I consider vintage those clothes from my mum's youth.....meaning 40-50 years ago! hehe).
    ~ I S A D O R A ' S B L O G ~
    ~ is being constantly updated with new dolly GOODIES and adventures ~
    { Isadora's Atelier on Facebook } { Amarilli's Flickr }

I would wash it- but thats just me. Wash in cold. Let dry naturally. But I wash all the fabrics I sew.

Well you are right. They are not really vintage. I guess that I just called then that because they once belonged to my mother, that passed away a few years ago.
    They were likely very old when she got them, since she had to stop sewing a long time ago.
    I always wanted to make something with the materials.
    I also found some very old vintage wedding beads things that belonged to my grandmother. She use to sew wedding dresses. Not sure how to wash them they are likely about 50 years old. Maybe i post some pictures later to show what materials i'm talking about.

not sure if plain washing will remove the old smell. maybe add some vinegar?

Gosh, if the fabric has color or a print to it, be careful about washing. Test a small area in cold water. I usually use Zote. It is a pink large laundry bar of soap. I got my last one in Walmart in the Laundry soap aisle. I find it best on antique whites -- some of those fabrics are probably close to 70+ years old. I've never had a problem -- I've heard horror stories of fabric disintegrating when water came in contact with it or of it bleeding terribly if dark in color -- I've never really used Zote on dark colors so I would "test" first.
    It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you get.:cool:
    http://dollutional.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by dollutional View Post
    Gosh, if the fabric has color or a print to it, be careful about washing. Test a small area in cold water. I usually use Zote. It is a pink large laundry bar of soap. I got my last one in Walmart in the Laundry soap aisle. I find it best on antique whites -- some of those fabrics are probably close to 70+ years old. I've never had a problem -- I've heard horror stories of fabric disintegrating when water came in contact with it or of it bleeding terribly if dark in color -- I've never really used Zote on dark colors so I would "test" first.
    Good point! I did not even think about disintegration- test a piece first.

I don't know if you've washed the fabrics yet, but if not... don't use vinegar. You want fabric to stay PH balanced the same way you want paper to stay PH balanced so it doesn't fall apart. My mom (who has a lot of experience with old quilts) said that you may want to use a textile wash specifically designed for old fabrics, but unless they're very delicate indeed, it's likely that your normal detergent will work. You'll just want to wash gently by hand.

Do you know what kind of fabric you have? Is it linen? Cotton? Wool?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information