+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Random Sewing Questions

thanks everyone for the good advice. I will most like gently wash with a mild soap. most of the fabric is cotton or polyesther, one or two or satin and sheer.

here are some pictures of the beaded material.

I bought a new sewing machine this week (my current machine was already old when I started to sew on it when I was 5, and I have had it almost 30 years, I thought it was time for an upgrade, and when I was looking around, I checked to see if there were actually sewing machines made specifically for doll clothes. I couldn't find anywhere that there were, but I did find out there are things you can do to make it easier. I know hand sewn is probably still the only way to go on tiny ED stuff, but my dollies so far are huge in comparison so I thought a machine might do fine. Anyway, I am probably the only one here who didn't know this as I have only recently acquired dolls to sew for, but sewing with a straight-stitch plate can help keep your fabric from being sucked down when sewing tiny things with tiny margins, or even with super-fine fabric. Even if your machine doesn't have the option of a straight stitch plate, you can rig one yourself with just simple card stock taped down. Since a straight stitch plate has one little hole rather than a wide slot where the needle goes up and down, it should be easy to punch a small hole in some card stock, and maybe use a craft knife to make slits for the feed dogs or something. I haven't tried either, and my old machine just sucked everything down, so I don't have anything to compare it with currently. I will get my new machine tomorrow but will probably be using the card stock method If anyone has experience with a straight-stitch plate I would love to know how it has worked out for you......

Quote Originally Posted by Ella View Post
    I bought a new sewing machine this week (my current machine was already old when I started to sew on it when I was 5, and I have had it almost 30 years, I thought it was time for an upgrade, and when I was looking around, I checked to see if there were actually sewing machines made specifically for doll clothes. I couldn't find anywhere that there were, but I did find out there are things you can do to make it easier. I know hand sewn is probably still the only way to go on tiny ED stuff, but my dollies so far are huge in comparison so I thought a machine might do fine. Anyway, I am probably the only one here who didn't know this as I have only recently acquired dolls to sew for, but sewing with a straight-stitch plate can help keep your fabric from being sucked down when sewing tiny things with tiny margins, or even with super-fine fabric. Even if your machine doesn't have the option of a straight stitch plate, you can rig one yourself with just simple card stock taped down. Since a straight stitch plate has one little hole rather than a wide slot where the needle goes up and down, it should be easy to punch a small hole in some card stock, and maybe use a craft knife to make slits for the feed dogs or something. I haven't tried either, and my old machine just sucked everything down, so I don't have anything to compare it with currently. I will get my new machine tomorrow but will probably be using the card stock method If anyone has experience with a straight-stitch plate I would love to know how it has worked out for you......
    This is such a good tip, thank you!
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

I've made a top for my doll and it's awful. To avoid distroying her body blushing I've used a barbie's mannequin but it doesn't work. On the mannequin everything lays okay but on the doll looks horrible.
    I really don't know what to do The main problem is her breasts. They're probably a lot of smaller than barbie's and placed in a diffrent position if you know what I mean.
    How are you managing to sew for Marina's doll ?
    [IMG] Short story of disaster. by Kapiszon.ka, on Flickr[/IMG]

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Kapiszonka - TatianaB has a wonderful tutorial about making clothes for any size doll without damaging the doll herself. You can find it here....http://blog.tatiana-b.com/p/tutorials.html
    Hope this helps.

Ella: this answer comes quite late... but if anyone else is having trouble with sucking sewing machines... . I use pattern paper under the little parts that get sucked, and after sewing I just tear the paper off.

Kapiszonka I have a Tonner Tinny Kitty and her,clothes fit my ED resin perfectly in the body. The clothes are too short in the legs and arms but that is an easy fix. If you don't have a Tiny Kittty ( I bought several a few years ago) you might want to check ebay for an inexpensive one, that should help. I know Barbie is bigger in the bust. I have heard the Silkstone Barbie might be smaller in the bust.

Caracal great idea. I also have a single hole plate on both of my Pfaff machines, that helps but the paper idea I will try as well.

Thank you for answer.
    Is this a Tinny Kitty ? but they're 10'' ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Tiny-Kitt...item25884ae027

Yes, that is the doll. They are 10 " in height but the body is the same as the body for our ED but the ED is longer in the limbs. What I plan on doing is fitting it to the Tiny Kitty but add a couple of inches in Length. This way you can buy a Tiny Kitty pattern and just lengthen the limbs, that is easy, the hard part is the bust and waist area, I might add a little length in the torso as well, like 1/4 - 1/2 inch. Will have to figure that out. Right now my two ED dolls are wearing tiny kitty outfits. They have a full skirt so fit very well. I tried a Tiny Kitty tight skirt on my ED and the ED had a little bigger hips. Since I have two ED I will use them to try most of the stuff on but I will use Tiny Kitty patterns and Barbie patterns. I wish someone made patterns for the ED but since they are so rare that isn't going to happen. I have a file started of patterns that are in all the old Haute Doll magazines and the UFDC magazines. (UFDC or United Federation of Doll Clubs is a huge organization of doll collectors from mostly the U.S. but is world wide as well. Us members get four of their magazines a year.). Now I just need to get busy sewing. I am about to start sewing a skirt to go with my new silver bra coming from Bellenolia. I have all the fabrics picked out from my stash of special fabrics collected over the years.

Pls does anybody have a skirt pattern 1:1 for ED ? pls pls pls

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information