+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: My Hathar

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing. What a harrowing experience 0__o. That's amazing though hearing the description of how the dolls is 'sprung' together. I sort of wish I had a really cheap 'spring joined' porcelain doll to disassemble and reassemble. It actually sounds like it could be fun.
    So I've read from many owners that resin dolls cast from the star-dolls factory in Russia are strung sooooo tight you can't restring them. (I've been reading poor Mig-mig's posts in the forum about her decapitated resin ED) I guess the super tight stringing is what gives them their great ability to pose? But I digress......
    I'm glad everything worked out and your Neia is as good as new, and with new leather lining to boot!

Holy moly, aneemal, that is quite a story. I think I'd have had a small heart attack if that happened to me. I'm glad that everything worked out.
    For more pictures of Gwen, Arya and Moira, click here

Quote Originally Posted by aneemal View Post
    Sure - In 2011, soon after I received Neia, I was playing with her quite a lot and trying different clothes that I'd collected when part of the leather lining in her shoulder started to receed into the joint. I rotated her arm to try and ease it back out (otherwise her arm wouldn't be able to move), but I rotated it too far and the spring in her shoulder popped off!!! And so while I'm holding her arm in one hand, the other arm falls off too, because the spring that runs through the chest and connects the two arms was no longer connected to the arm in my hand! :'0 I felt absolutely dreadful! Luckily none of the porcelain pieces had been damaged, only come apart. But I contacted Marina and she was really kind and provided a photographic explanation of how to safely reattach the arms. I couldn't have done it without her detailed and careful instructions. But I also had a problem in that the leather sueding in her shoulder which had started coming away from the joint had been discoloured by glue that I had used initially to try and stop it slipping. So, I took the lining out, but the replacement leather I found was a slightly different shade. And so I took the drastic decision to re-suede all the joints in both her arms, so that the leather lining would all be the same colour. I'm so relieved that it was possible to put her right again and that nothing got broken. Since then, needless to say, I don't redress her as often and I'm even considering letting her remain nude, lol!

I have to say though, I think it'd be easier to disassemble and reassemble a porcelain ED over a resin ED - I have little faith that I'd be able to restring my resin ED to the same standard that she is strung now :s
    Wow, how stressful!

I have the same worry about my tightly strung resin dolls, not just my RED but Popovy and Tender Creations are strung REALLY super tight (I think by the same company) I love the way they pose but elastic doesn't last forever... I hope there is someone to re-string my dolls properly when it finally rots away in 20 years...

Gee, now I am worried about having to restring my Popovy and Enchanted resin girls. They are still nice and tight so maybe I won't have to worry in my lifetime and the future owner will have that worry. I plan on keeping them until the bitter end. The thing I worry about these dolls are the fingers. They are so tiny and when I repose the hands I always do it by the palms, not fingers. I would die if a finger broke off. Not so much ED as I live in the province next to Marina but the cost of sending my Popovy back and then resent to me would be worrisome for safety and cost of mailing. We just have to be careful but I refuse to be one of those people that keep my dolls in boxes in the closet. I have them out to enjoy. Safely but they are out. I have expensive antique dolls as well and they are out to be seen as well. Most of my dolls are in cabinets but some of in my office that is full of dolls and they are on tables, etc. I always keep the doll closed and the blinds shut when I am not in the room. I also keep my two wonderful smaller carpets from Turkey in there as well to enjoy and not have them rolled up in a closet. I love them so much as they are works of art to enjoy. I do have to remember to close the door because I do have a dog and grandchildren who sometimes visit. We need to remember to enjoy (smartly) our treasured possessions.

aneemal, if my dolls arms fell off I would have been crying and screaming. Glad it got working out but I know I would have sent it back to Marina. I think you are far away so maybe not the same option for you. Great you could figure it out. So smart.

This story raised the hair on my head! While I didn't break any of my dolls, I received a doll with fingers broken off in transport (she wasn't well protected). The artist sent me two hands and I managed to restring the doll, but she wasn't as tightly strung as Marina's dolls.

BTW, I still didn't restring my resin EDs, because I'm afraid I will rub the face-up off or break the doll. They spent over two months in a box
    Maybe I will do this on Monday, when the family is away and I can just spread everything on a table, take a tranquiliser and attempt to put them together. I'm owing you pictures!
    MigMig

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Goodluck being brave MigMig...and yes, we'd love to see photos please!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MigMig View Post
    This story raised the hair on my head! While I didn't break any of my dolls, I received a doll with fingers broken off in transport (she wasn't well protected). The artist sent me two hands and I managed to restring the doll, but she wasn't as tightly strung as Marina's dolls.

BTW, I still didn't restring my resin EDs, because I'm afraid I will rub the face-up off or break the doll. They spent over two months in a box
    Maybe I will do this on Monday, when the family is away and I can just spread everything on a table, take a tranquiliser and attempt to put them together. I'm owing you pictures!
    Mig Mig, may I ask you please, why you have to re-string your ED's?

Quote Originally Posted by Petraskova View Post
    Mig Mig, may I ask you please, why you have to re-string your ED's?
    The face-up artist has remove the dolls' heads and she shipped them back without putting then together!
    I still didn't attach the heads - too scared to try
    MigMig

I would be annoyed if the heads were not back on. She should have done that and then if it was ruined she could touch it up. Getting the head back on should not be that hard is it? We do big BJD all the time. Are these different? I got my dolls direct from Marina and was glad the eyes were in already. That looks impossible as they are so small. Marina must have very small steady hands. Also she probably is not as scared as we are of breaking the dolls. I imagine when she has almost totally finished the doll and doing the final touches is when she might get nervous. Especially the porcelain dolls with the many firings.

My resin enchanted doll is strung tighter than the Popovy dolls. I found it is a little harder to get the head on and off the ED. But you don't have to touch the face at all to put the head back on her body. I place the fingers of my left hand around the hole in the head to hold the head firmly in place during the process and stay away from the face. When I paint my dolls, if the fingers bump the legs, or parts move - it leaves chips in the paint even before I'm done - marring the dolls look and it's not that easy to patch the color. I imagine the artist was trying to keep the doll perfect so the face wouldn't be rubbed or scuffed during shipping. I think all the paint chipping with the resin dolls is why a lot of them are left almost blank over the body, as you see in Marina's promotion materials, and other artist dolls. If there isn't much pigment to chip then chips don't show. The new flesh colored resins sort of fix this problem and probably save the artists time painting.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information