+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: EDDA - for suspicious sales & auctions!

EDDA - for suspicious sales & auctions!

JayneM came up with the idea of an EDDA (Enchanted Doll Detective Agency). The name is a bit of a joke, but the EDDA means serious business. It's happened several times before that some unscrupulous person has tried to scam ED fans. Unfortunately, as Marina's work becomes more well-known, there will probably be more of this.

Never fear, EDDA TO THE RESCUE!! If you see an auction or sale that looks suspicious, please post a link here and we will investigate and, if necessary, report it. This will keep things tidy and provide a permanent record of who the scammers are. Of course, the scammers can come up with new aliases but the hope is that eventually they will give up. I'll keep this top post updated with a record of our solved cases, which is very important for our egos. ;D

Signs a Sale or Auction May Be a Scam:
    -there are no photos taken by the seller
    -the seller uses photos taken by members of this community
    -a very low starting bid on an auction
    -an unrealistically low shipping cost
    -the seller has little or poor feedback
    -the text does not describe the doll accurately according to what we know from blog posts or community records
    -the seller does not respond to reasonable questions about the doll or will not take their own photos on request
    No one of these things necessarily means a sale or auction is a scam, but if there are several of them, be warned! The EDDA is on the alert!

How to Report Suspicious Auctions on Ebay
    1. Go to the item listing page
    2. Click "Report this Item." It's in the left margin right above the listing discription.
    3. Choose reasons you are reporting, which will probably be Listing Practices/Fraudulent Listing Activities/You suspect that a listing is fraudulent
    4. Ebay will investigate. They are most likely to investigate if more people report the item.
    You can also report by phone.

How to sell a doll without fear of becoming a suspect :O
    -longstanding community members who's dolls we are familiar with are of course given lenience. :)
    -take your own photos of the doll you are selling, with a paper where you have written your username and the date (this proves *you* took the photo). Include the paper with a photo of head markings, if any. It's usually fine to use Marina's photos or a previous owner's photos as well as long as they are of the exact doll you are selling and you have a "proof" photo.
    -respond to questions promptly

Solved Case Record
    Link (won't last long):http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enchanted-Do...item43b5ce1e19
    Screenshot (useful for proving future scams):
    Case Date: 11/14/12
    Seller ID: 350z1975
    Seller Location: Georgia, USA
    Doll being "sold": Red-headed Rubanesque with accessories.
    Case Summary & Notes: This person purported to be selling a Rubanesque porcelain doll, with a starting bid of $200. They used only Marina's photos and all the text was copied from Marina's blog. The shipping price was also suspiciously low at $6.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enchanted-Do...item416f13e01d
    Screenshot:
    Case Date: 12/9-12/11/2012
    Seller ID: qolender11
    Seller Location: Itasca, Illinois, US
    Doll being "sold": Elena the Beautiful with accessories
    Case Summary & Notes: This scam appears identical to two previous ones. This person claimed to be selling Elena the Beautiful with crown, shoes, and fur stole. Community records indicate these items were split in a previous sale & the crown is currently owned by lilithskyblu. Seller had a $9 starting bid with no reserve and free shipping. The seller had zero feedback. They stole photos from Angelificatu. The auction was reported almost immediately and taken down 2 days later. This seller tried to sell another type of rare doll; that auction was also taken down.

Link: (none)
    Screenshot:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...0594859309.jpg
    Case Date: 4/30/2012
    Seller ID: dardaubenspeck1
    Seller Location: Greenwood, IN, US
    Case Summary & Notes: This scam appears identical to a previous one. The starting bid was $9, the seller had zero feedback and used a community member's photos. The doll being "sold" was owned by pinktink at the time. The listing was removed within a day.

Link: (none)
    Screenshot:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...0423992546.jpg
    Case Date: 3/22/2010
    Seller ID: lestruthven0
    Seller Location: Bellmore, NY, US
    Case Summary & Notes: The seller claimed to be selling Elena the Beautiful, who was owned buy a community member at the time.

(there are a few more not in these records)
    Last edited by allurose; December 16th, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

Fabulous idea!!! Instead of "Charlie's Angels" we are all now "Marina's Angels".

I get dibs on the Farrah Fawcette hairdo. I rocked it pretty good back in my disco days. Great idea! EDDA.... very nice, very nice indeed.

Whelp, I have our first suspicious auction for this thread:

seller name: http://myworld.ebay.com/qolender11?_...p2047675.l2559
    auction link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enchanted-Do...item416f13e01d

Suspicious qualities:
    1. No owner photos
    2. No owner feedback
    3. Very low starting bid ($9!) & no reserve
    4. Free shipping
    5. They claim she is THE Elena the Beautiful, who is owned by someone on this community? Not sure about that...

I just asked the seller a question:

"Hi there!
    She is so pretty! I am very interested. Do you have photos that provide proof of ownership? Meaning, a picture of her with your ebay sn on a piece of paper next to her?
    Thanks..."

We'll see what happens! Of course, if she is legit, I probably can't afford her!
    Last edited by allurose; December 10th, 2012 at 02:19 AM.
    Follow me on Flickr!

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Very interesting! Aside from the very low starting price, I have to say that this one sounds legitimate.
    Allurose, we will have to wait and see if they respond to your query.
    And if it's for real, I hope I win the lottery REALLY SOON!!

EDDA - for suspicious sales & auctions!

Yes, I also hope it is legitimate! Elena/Sapphire is one of my favorite EDs. Not that I could afford her, but I can dream!
    Follow me on Flickr!

I did a little more sleuthing... the photos are from Angelificatu here on the community. Her flickr says she sold her EDs, and her ED gallery hasn't been updated since 2009, so probably around then is when she sold them.

Of course the sale could still be legit if this is the person that bought Elena from Angelificatu. The text is more real sounding than the last auction. But still, I am skeptical.
    Last edited by allurose; December 10th, 2012 at 05:01 AM.
    Follow me on Flickr!

According to my owner FAQS (which isn't always up-to-date), Elena was sold to pinktink on the forum in 2010. It's always possible that they've resold her since then and that this is the latest owner trying to sell her but I doubt that somehow.
    For more pictures of Gwen, Arya and Moira, click here

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Allurose, it does seem strange that the ebay seller is using old photos from Angelificatu's Flickr photostream. A comment on the last photo on this stream, suggests that Elena was purchased by joyce_95437 and she has her own lovely photos of Elena on Flickr. :confused:

Is there any way to check the legitimacy of an auction?

Quote Originally Posted by skulptress9 View Post
    Is there any way to check the legitimacy of an auction?
    If you are suspicious and this indeed sounds suspicious, you can always email a complaint to ebay. They do seem to as least take such complaints serious. Also, this seller has NO feedback. That in and of itself is cause to think very hard and long before doing business with this person.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information