+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Someday' doll...

annina is offline friendly Adminja
    i love this doll, she is just amazing, it really paid off that you took your time in getting her just right and how you wanted her, it comes through in the photos that she is so well constructed!
    everytime you show new photos of her i get out my pompoms and start cheering:

* give me an R *
    * give me a U *
    * give me an S *
    * give me an E *
    what does that make?
    RUSE * RUSE * RUSE \/

Thank you so much, Amily! The joints took a lot of experimenting, even though I thought I had them planned out. I have definitely learned a lot in the process.

Ooh, Annina - I've just seen from your sig that you've named your resin girl!
    Thank you so much for the cheer! I really need it!...

I brought out the primer today only to discover that it contains chemicals which are known to be carcinogenic as well as carrying other very serious health risks! So, I put it away again! So far I've been using gesso, but I need to use something that can be sprayed on evenly without leaving brush marks. I've ordered another can of the same acrylic spray that I used for Pirooz, because I don't remember it carrying such a hefty health warning. But, I ordered a respirator too, for good measure and will only use the spray outdoors.

Also, I'm not going to be able to do any casting in resin myself this time, so I've been looking into alternatives. Before I approach any of the companies in Asia who cast on behalf of other artists, I'd like to do maybe one or two dolls myself in an alternative material (in case the original gets lost in the mail). I've been looking into a casting material called Artestone. It's a stoneware that can be cast in silicone moulds. It sounds very interesting - strong, smooth and waterproof...

Oh we'll, back to sanding, priming, sanding, priming...

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

annina is offline friendly Adminja
    good thing you ordered a respirator, health comes first!!

and that's a very good thought to cast the doll to make some kind of copy in case of loosing the master in the mail, that would be very unfunny!
    the Artestone sounds interesting, fingers crossed that it will work!

and yep, finally named my girl, hoping to have new pics up this coming week!

Every time I see a work in progress photo from Marina, I feel energised! In fact browsing doll projects by other artists is one of my favourite pastimes now.

Armed with my new dust mask, it's time for the nitty gritty! One piece at a time... she will be smooth, she will be smooth... *new mantra*

Priming, sanding, priming... armed with my new dust mask. We will prevail! by aneemal, on Flickr

I know I am shameless about asking questions, but I am really curious now: What is the purpose of the primer, and what are you using to prime her? And I feel the same way! I love other artists' WIP pictures, they are so inspiring. I really like this photo, it really makes me want to pick her up and start posing her.

Hi Ella - I don't mind at all, ask away! I enjoy talking about the process and if I start talking about it with my family, their eyes glaze over!

Come to think of it, there are quite a few reasons to use a primer of some sort:-
    - To fill in dents and scratches
    - To provide a uniform colour
    - To protect the base material

The way I sculpt, I do a lot of retrospective carving with a scalpel and a dremel, so the surface of the polymer clay is quite rough after the initial sculpting. I admire those artists who sculpt with gloves and can produce a smooth polymer clay original - it amazes me! So, for me, the primary purpose of priming is to smooth the surface of the doll. I cover the parts in gesso first (which is very gloopy) and then sand this back with sandpaper of increasing grades. At this point, I can start to feel the difference, but the pieces are not a uniform colour, so it's hard to gauge any imperfections. I then do a layer of primer and sand that back too. With each layer, less and less of the original material is visible, meaning the parts are getting smoother, until you reach the final layer which you can buff with steel wool. Depending on the material you use for sculpting, the primer can also provide a protective layer. For example, if you were using an air-drying clay, you would have to use a primer before moulding, because any moisture would harm the sculpt.

This is the primer I'm using:

You are using wax though, right? So you won't need to prime your doll. Have you seen JayneM's thread. She also used wax for her doll () - have a look, if you haven't already!

I like the idea of wax. Are u a member of The Joint? There are some people doing amazing things with wax over there too!

My gosh, the work that goes into scultpting? I don't think, that I could do it!

Thank you so so much, you have answered a question for me that I have had for a while!!! I think the wax is working wonderfully for what I am doing, it is just extremely time consuming because of the fact that I didn't work a ton of details out before casting the wax pieces. I had no idea how long the wax process was, but now I wish I had worked a few more things out with the clay. Honestly, my arms and legs looked like playdough snakes when I cast them in wax. I want to make more dolls when I'm done, so I'm getting ideas of things that might work better for me next time. Seeing your pictures is very inspirational, and makes me wish I had worked harder on the clay pieces. I just love her size! Hurry up and cast her in resin already, I want one! Just kidding, work at your own speed

LOL, I'm trying! I kind of have a self-imposed deadline looming... But more about that later!

And don't worry - it sounds like you are learning a huge amount through experimentation and I believe that none of that can be a waste of time, because there's no real shortcut to experience and finding out what works for you now will set you up well for the future. Already you've gained experience in plaster mould making which is an art in itself! When I was in school, my favourite subject was DT - Design and Technology. I would never have guessed back then that the things I picked up from one of the best teachers I ever had would help me in making dolls today. My teacher's favourite motto, written on the wall, was "He who never made a mistake, never made anything"...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information