Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

What to do?

Good afternoon all.
    I have such question: how it is possible to contact Marina? I want to learn - whether there are at Marina Costumed Porcelain ED for sale. I write to Marina on e-mail inquiries@enchanteddoll.com, but she doesn't answer.
    What to do?

Mimmi
    At the moment they are not selling any porcelain bjd's without embellishments or nude. This is something that I hope that Marina will reconsider once she completes the large doll which she is currently working on and the backlog of resin dolls. I feel she is missing something by not supporting her collectors who find the embellished dolls prohibitive but would say pay $5000ish for a painted nude porcelain. I think this would be a very realistic price and well above anything else out there too. It concerns me a little that she will lose collectors is she prices herself out of the market and away from her most supportive collectors. I totally understand her creative spirit and desire to produce different sizes etc. but the larger they are the more expensive they are the less market there is and especially in this economic climate which it is my profession to understand. If you are referring to her embellished porcelains then the latest one for sale is at the Strychnin Gallery in Moscow on this link http://www.enchanteddoll.com/blog/?p=3551. I believe you have to contact the gallery directly on this link if you are interested: http://www.strychnin.com/Presale.html. If you are successful in getting this one then please share her with us, she is absolutely stunning. Marina does not have much contact with her clients as she's busy travelling and working on her creations and backorders. She only does one embellished porcelain for sale now and then and this is the only one for sale at the moment I believe. She puts them on her website and if you are on her newsletter you will get notified of any that come up for sale. I want a porcelain eventually also but if Marina can't provide one then we have no other choice but to find another artist who will produce one similar or make one ourselves and that to me is a compromise. I hope that one day perhaps in a year or so, she offers one nude to anyone interested in preference to those who don't own one and have wanted to for a very long time as I know there are quite a few people in this position. Wishing you every success.
    Last edited by DJWard; May 31st, 2013 at 12:42 PM.

I must say I quite agree with everything you said, DJWard. I must say I was shocked - and disappointed too - when I read this : "Behold: A large, ball-jointed, porcelain doll! And she is going to be beautiful! And, very expensive." I'm beginning to wonder, is Marina only interested in the price she can sell her dolls? and therefore in the customers who can actually afford them? Food for thought...

lilithskyblu is offline Excruciatingly Enchanted
    We all get together here because we love talking about Enchanted dolls, much like there may be forums or blogs about other artists. It was not started and is not run by Marina. I'm sure she appreciates her fans, but I doubt she will reduce her prices to accommodate them, nor should she have to. I can tell you a nude would no longer sell for $5,000.00 but quite a bit higher. The dolls have become art pieces now, and art can sell for as much as a buyer will pay, it does not necessarily follow any economic climate. But she does have her beautiful resin dolls, that are quite reasonable, and will be valuable collector items one day as well. I do sympathize though, I adore the porcelain too.

I think we're very off-topic here and this has nothing to do in the FAQ but...

I don't know Marina very well, but from what I know of her, one thing I'm sure of is what motivates her is not making money but her artistic vision and inner drive to explore her abilities further and further. She had been intrigued by the concept of making a large doll for years, now she is finally getting around to realizing that dream, and of course given the work required it follows that the finished doll will be very expensive. In other words, she wants to make a large doll and therefore it will be expensive ; not, she wants to make an expensive doll and therefore it will be large.

Maybe one day she will again take orders for porcelain nudes, maybe not. What is sure is that she must follow her inspiration and make what she wants to make, not what people want her to make. If she had to turn out porcelain doll after porcelain doll, until all the people who want one have one, she'd burn out and lose her artistic motivation in the process. But, if she was only interested in money, that's exactly the route she would go, as she would only have to make the same thing over and over again with no new creative effort required. Each time she makes something different, like the rubenesque dolls or the large doll, there's a lot of work involved, development, trial and error.

The resin dolls are a good compromise, since they require less time from her, at least her collectors can have a doll from her, and at the same time she has enough freedom in her time and her head to continue evolving as an artist.

I guess for me the bottom line is, Marina is not a doll company, she's an artist. You wouldn't tell Renoir or Monet that he shouldn't move on to his next artistic endeavor, but paint the same painting over and again until all the people who want one have one, because you prefer to hang the real thing on the wall of your living-room rather than a reproduction ; you wouldn't tell him, don't paint a large canvas because only rich people will be able to afford it.
    Last edited by Biscuitbear; May 31st, 2013 at 03:04 PM.

I agree, I believe the artist creates and sells only to be able to go on creating and I can imagine the labor and resources that went into making the large doll are considerable.

There's no denying she is an artist - probably the first porcelain bjd artist and (one of) the best at what she does and that we must respect her artistic freedom. All I'm saying is the comment I quoted above was inappropriate and ambiguous. You also have to admit that her price range is far beyond anything that is seen on this market, even for a nude doll. There are other talented artists out there whose price range for a porcelain doll does not exceed 4 or $5.000. Imagine the amount of work Marmite Sue grants her lace bodies. Who can deny her dolls are as beautiful as Marina's?
    Rarity is also a way to increase prices.
    By the way many artists in the past could barely make a living of their art. Many died in poverty and prices for their paintings only skyrocketed after their death
    Last edited by GuyFawkes; May 31st, 2013 at 06:08 PM.

I don't know, I guess I'm feeling protective about comments made about Marina, as to me, she is far above any other doll artist, dead or alive, that's just the way I feel about her (and yes I would deny that Marmite Sue's dolls are as beautiful - that's my own taste - nobody will ever agree about a universal scale of beauty, but I guess that if Marina can afford to be more expensive than everybody else, it means that a lot of people find her work exceptional). I wouldn't say her comment about the price of the large doll was inappropriate, she can say what she wants in her own blog, and even so for me it's quite a useful comment - it warns us that the amount of work and technical challenge required for this doll is huge, and that therefore the price will be huge as well, so better not get our hopes up if we're into that size of dolls unless we win the lottery. Better that than get excited about the possibility to get a large doll one day and then find out it costs $500,000 when it's finally available.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWard View Post
    Mimmi
    At the moment they are not selling any porcelain bjd's without embellishments or nude. This is something that I hope that Marina will reconsider once she completes the large doll which she is currently working on and the backlog of resin dolls. I feel she is missing something by not supporting her collectors who find the embellished dolls prohibitive but would say pay $5000ish for a painted nude porcelain. I think this would be a very realistic price and well above anything else out there too. It concerns me a little that she will lose collectors is she prices herself out of the market and away from her most supportive collectors. I totally understand her creative spirit and desire to produce different sizes etc. but the larger they are the more expensive they are the less market there is and especially in this economic climate which it is my profession to understand. If you are referring to her embellished porcelains then the latest one for sale is at the Strychnin Gallery in Moscow on this link http://www.enchanteddoll.com/blog/?p=3551. I believe you have to contact the gallery directly on this link if you are interested: http://www.strychnin.com/Presale.html. If you are successful in getting this one then please share her with us, she is absolutely stunning. Marina does not have much contact with her clients as she's busy travelling and working on her creations and backorders. She only does one embellished porcelain for sale now and then and this is the only one for sale at the moment I believe. She puts them on her website and if you are on her newsletter you will get notified of any that come up for sale. I want a porcelain eventually also but if Marina can't provide one then we have no other choice but to find another artist who will produce one similar or make one ourselves and that to me is a compromise. I hope that one day perhaps in a year or so, she offers one nude to anyone interested in preference to those who don't own one and have wanted to for a very long time as I know there are quite a few people in this position. Wishing you every success.

For information, the gallery is in Berlin, the doll "Princess and the frog" was already sold before it was exhibited and I will share the rest of the photos I made of her last weekend this weekend
    And I am all the same with biscuitbear here. Marina can eventually do what she wants and has enough visions for fantastic doll, artistic ideas, and that is the path she follows. Rather no more production as she did in the beginning.

When I like something, I will pay the price anyone asks, if it is within my reach. If not, well, I just don't buy it. Someone else, always will.

Closed Thread

Thread Information