+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about modified painted eyes

Question about modified painted eyes

I have a #10 by Marina, but I'm thinking I might like to see what she would look like if she had painted eyes instead of glass eyes.

My problem, I have no clue where to start! What material are the painted mods made of? Are there any tutorials around about making resin doll eyes that aren't glass eyes? How would I insert them (Before I paint or after?) Is there a special way you get them to stick to the socket?

I'm a little lost!

(also, I'm assuming if I don't like it in the end it will be easy to reinsert her glass eyes. Is this true?)

I am guess the eyes are filled in with apoxie sculpt- or some other epoxy material. At least that would be how I would do it. Apoxie sculpt is a two part compound that hardens over a couple hours. A lot of bjd people use is for mods. it is paint able and sandable- but permanent. You could probably also use another clay that is removable. like paper clay.

If you were to use a barrier like cling film (plastic wrap) and then push the apoxie against the sockets from the inside of the head, you could make eyes that were removable. This is just my theory though - I haven't tried it.

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Interestingly, Marmite Sue has recently cast separate, blank resin eyes for her resin dolls. So it's now possible to order either glass eyes or pay a little more for painted resin eyes. It would be wonderful if Marina could make this option available. We could then have the option of paying extra for the painted eyes and those who want to paint their own blank doll would also be able to paint the resin eyes and still interchange them with the glass ones, if so desired.

What a good idea that would be but you know it won't happen. We have to be happy with what we get. I really think she is reserving those painted eyes for the porcelain to keep them different. The first resin were probably painted only because that is what she knew to do and hadn't done the glass. Just like the spring joints. I think if we want painted eyes we will have to do them ourselves. I really do prefer the painted, but I still love my glass.

The value of custom vs. by Marina?

I'm just curious what the thoughts are on the resin dolls.

Specifically, I have a doll painted by Marina. I like her face up and I don't want to change it. But, I DO want to give her painted eyes.

Would this depreciate her value?

You could just have painted eyeballs made for her, they would fit in like glass ones. I did that, no harm will be done to her face up.

Oh, thats a great idea Fitz! Do you have any other information you could share about that? Did you do it yourself or purchase them? What were they made of? Do you have a picture of how inserted painted eyes look on your doll?

I have just finished painting my RED. I experimented and managed to make some "easy fit" painted eyes for her. I was worried about permanent mods affecting the value of my doll plus this gives me flexibility to change her eye colour if I want to.

Here is a link to her photo on flickr https://flic.kr/p/EfBgej

I also made removable painted eyes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information