+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: A Crown for Evangeline-WIP!

wow, this is so beautiful, I wish there is a tutorial :-) So I can make one for my girl!

Quote Originally Posted by cocoon View Post
    wow, this is so beautiful, I wish there is a tutorial :-) So I can make one for my girl!
    Thank you so much, cocoon. I don't know how it is done professionally, but this is how I made the crown. I put a piece of paper around the doll's head and figured out where the opening around the face should be. Once I had that, I curled the piece of paper around the doll's head until it met in the back and had a pleasing shape. I marked where these points were and made a pattern. I put the pattern on some heavy cotton fabric and traced the outline. Then I began beading from the face frame upwards. Once I finished beading, I sewed fabric covered wire onto the back of the crown and covered it with a lining. I then sewed the two end pieces together to make it a three dimensional object.

Like with anything new, there was a tremendous learning curve for me.

These are the things I would have chosen to do differently, had I had the knowledge beforehand.

I would keep the beads as small as possible as it gets very heavy, very quickly with larger beads.
    I would leave a few empty spaces in the back where they come together to add beads later on after it has been joined. I had to rip out a few at the end and reinforce and rebead because it came out slightly too large.
    I would also not make it too tall for the reason mentioned above.
    You can also make the top portion separately if you wish and sew it together later on if that is easier for you but I beaded on one piece of fabric.
    I would close up the thread after each section and reinforce so that if you later have to take it apart, the whole work is not threatened.

I hope this is of some help to you cocoon. If there are any other questions, I would be very happy to answer as best as I can.
    Last edited by Bluemoonstars; December 13th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
    If you don't like the fortune in your fortune cookie, just open another!!!!!!

Thank you, Bluemoonstars!! I will try my best to do this as a project. Hope I am so handy like you

That is a STUNNING photo!!!
    Love her little face peeping through x

I remember seeing this crown before and thought how magnificent it was. I can see now heavy it can get and the wire is a great idea. Thanks for all the pointers you gave us Bluemoonstars. Someday I may try to do one but all the design work looks a bit daunting. I bet more time went into "what will I do next" than actual beading time. I know when I sew something that doesn't have the actual pattern or I am using special precious old fabrics I am so careful and it takes forever. I don't like to redo stuff. Making something like this you are really doing it blindly and hoping it goes well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information