+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Large Enchanted Doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor_Orbit View Post
    also to think if she actually had the parts scanned, it costs really a fortune to have a whole doll scanned and digitalized. unless the person who worked on it used basic scanning photos and tweaked it afterwards. otherwise the computer artist would have to render a whole new stl file. any guesses? if anyone has actually 3D scanned parts, how much does it normally cost?
    It cost me 90 for a basic scan of one leg (four parts)...

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

I noticed the thigh is 2 piece on the small, but one piece on the large- I wonder why she chose to do that.

New Large Enchanted Doll!

Fitz- due to the sheer weight, I'm guessing. And Shashy- I completely agree with you about the fact that larger dolls take up bigger space. However come to think of it, whoever decides and is able to to adopt this larger enchanted doll will probably have all the space she needs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor_Orbit View Post
    also to think if she actually had the parts scanned, it costs really a fortune to have a whole doll scanned and digitalized. unless the person who worked on it used basic scanning photos and tweaked it afterwards. otherwise the computer artist would have to render a whole new stl file. any guesses? if anyone has actually 3D scanned parts, how much does it normally cost?
    Well, it looks as though the parts were 3D printed, judging by this link - http://www.3dreveng.com/am_portfolio...g-small-parts/

I think since she is mainly testing right now its more stable to do one piece thick, otherwise its another thing to scan print and fit, without knowing it would work.

Wow thanks for the link merrijane!

Thanks for sharing that link, merrijane! Fascinating... The possibilities... I'm thinking this may be a step towards the lifesize doll?

Aneemal: there was some artist who did lifesize BJD doll recently, can't remember the name of the artist though (for me the names are always just white fuzz going thru my head)

Well, Marina has the fortune now from Daphne to do these expensive scanning. Though, making it with hand from scratch would be more expensive considering the time that sculpting takes. Scanning is actually cheap compared to that.

For me this size does not appeal at all. I have handled so much about 65cm resin dolls, and noticed the difficulties with handling them. The heavier parts makes it harder to hold their pose, you are always scared that the doll will fall down in the middle of photo shoot (even with the stand), photshoots take lot of space etc.
    Making clothes and accessories is of course easier, since the fabrics/material behave better in that size. And beads and such are more in scale.
    My favorite size for a doll is MSD size (about 40cm), that size is easy to handle, easy to photo (does not need HUGE background) and making clothes is so much 'easier' than for Barbie size dolls. And if MSD size doll falls during a photoshoot, it will most likely survive without damage (I am talking about resin dolls, no experience of porcelain).

But yes, I am still looking forward seeing the new big doll ready. (Maybe there were some metal pieces already shown in the earlier blog post, they looked little bit out of scale for tiny ED doll. i might be so wrong of course

Funny thing is that I actually like this size doll very much! Though the very idea of what such a doll would cost makes my head hurt I nonetheless find big dolls very appealing. My favorite doll as a child was a 3 feet tall 'walking" doll. She was the best friend to a me when I was lonely overweight and unpopular kid. Later when I realized my mom had thrown her out it upset me very badly! I still have a photo of me with her when I was six. So this glorious big ED girl harkens to that time. I currently have three Annette Himstedt vinyl dolls that are at least that 36 inches tall. They have such a life of their own. I am really looking forward to see this wonderful doll!

Aneemal- was that scanning and printing for 90?

Fitz, just the scanning. The printing was a minimum charge of 12 per piece (though i managed to negate the charge for the knees!) and because the scan was not extensive this meant I still had to drill and correct the parts to some extent. (Photos on my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aneemal/9422922371/)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information