+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Price Guide?

Yep .. entering the same debates with my hubby now and am also the main income earner with lovely bonuses ... fortunately he can see the investment value in the ED as we both started buying art recently up to the same price which is doing quite well.
    I haven't mentioned I have 3 dolls on order to him yet though, yes I am officially a crazy doll lady now lol. Sheer luck would have it that the mannequins have covered my accessories expenses so far and being an artist if I keep working hard at it I hope furniture and costume sales will also help.

That's great he can at least see the "investment value" of the dolls-

That's also great you can sell off some art to help offset the hobby- I try to sell a doll now and again when things are getting out of hand and sold a couple to afford my RED actually- but it is SO much work that I do truly hate putting things up for sale, haha

Price Guide?

Funny story...
    My partner and I (also a female/female couple) don't really share finances or purchases. When we do buy something together, we jokingly refer to it as our "baby" since we have to then make a just-in-case "custody arrangement."

Our first "baby" was a our Hat Baby, a veery fancy gothic Lolita hat we bought to share since we couldn't afford it independently.

The second "baby" is our Dog Baby. I am shamelessly attaching a photo.

The third "baby" has been our ED Baby. Historically, I have been more an ED fan than her, so I didn't know if she would go for it so...

Once I got the email, I jumped on her and showed the email.
    Me "Heeeey, you want to have an ED Baby with me?"

Her "Hmm..."

Me "It would be the most profitable baby ever!!"

Her "LOL that only applies if you ever actually sell the doll! Which you won't!!"

But we agreed very easily on this purchase after just a few moments. And that is how Almas was immaculately conceived. And like many nonbirthing parents, she fell in love at first sight.

But I hear you, Galacticat and others. Although Joe and I share our doll hobby, there are many things we don't share. It works best for us to maintain some boundaries that are necessary to keep the relationship functioning and let each other be free with everything else. As long as we each meet our joint saving goals (for our ACTUAL someday-baby), we each do our own thing. Too much control in a relationship is not healthy. I would never want to share all my finances with a partner and I can hardly imagine how other couples do it! It must be very stressful.
    Last edited by allurose; April 27th, 2016 at 04:20 AM.
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

First of all let me say Allurose, that I LOVE your fur baby!! I had a dog once and I miss he soooo much! He had my whole heart in his furry little paws.

My husband fortunately or perhaps unfortunately can be talked into just about anything. Really anything. So I guess I am really lucky. He definitely understands my doll obsession and supports me. Only problem being he started buying antique tin toys a few years back and now we are running out of room! He has taken over most of the collecting in our house. I am a little fussier about what comes into my collection now but my collecting has taken us all over the United States to doll conventions and last year to London England for a dollhouse festival which was fabulous. Oh, we have an antique auction house so well, you do the math. Every month something lovely makes it way into the house.

We do share the money and always have so I don't think I could imagine it any other way.

Lol! Allurose, you had me in stitches reading this!!

One of the biggest upsides to my divorce is that I get to earn and save my own money and spend it on exactly what I want (post treats & necessities for my little boy)! If I had still been with my husband, there is absolutely noooooo way he would have let me buy my RED or any other doll for that matter! It's one of the reasons I never ended up on the porcelain waiting list in the early days. My money was always deposited in my own account, and in theory mine, however, it had an uncanny way of all ending up in his one way or another lol! One of the reasons why the hobby is so precious to me is that it represents my freedom to do as I choose!! When I first came across Enchanted Doll years ago, I was still married and dreamed of owning one someday, knowing that it would never be possible, so holding my RED for the first time was actually a personal milestone in my life!!

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (Home of the Kentucky Derby horse race & the worlds best Bourbons.
    Alllurose,

It sounds like you have found a good balance in your relationship and that your spouse has great taste in "babies". Your fur baby is adorable. My fur kids are such a huge part of my life (two longcoat Chihuahuas, Lily & Howard) and they are smart enough to suck up to my husband. :o)
    I've been on both sides. Have made my own money--and now, not contributing as much. My DH has always thought that all of our money should be co-mingled, but I was single for too many years, so I maintain a small account with my "dolly dollars". Though he never says much about what I spend except to say on occasion, "There is only so much water in the well." I can live with that...

Alllurose, Congratulations on your "freedom". Sounds as though you are enjoying it. I stayed single for 8 years after my divorce. Jim (my present husband) and I dated for aee

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (Home of the Kentucky Derby horse race & the worlds best Bourbons.
    Sorry I broke off the post, but my computer froze.

Just to finish, my DH & I dated for almost 7 years and have just celebrated or 30th anniversary, so I did find a wonderful partner after all.

Wanted to ask Skulptress which doll events do you attend in the US?

Jill

Hi Jill, I am a member in the Canadian chapter of the UFDC ( United Federation of Doll Collectors) so I have been to their national convention four times. I would dearly love though to go to one of the BJD and newer doll convention that American seems to have every year. There is very little to do doll wise in Canada.

Congratulations on 30 years with your partner! My husband and I have been together 25 years but only married for 16.

OMG that fur baby is the cutest ever- what a hilarious expression !!!!

My partner have been together now for 11 years, (although married for 3)- and we own a home together. I think keeping finances separate when you are married and own a house together can be pretty difficult, especially where there are different contributions to the household. I make most of our income, but will admit she takes care of most of the household tasks (picks up my drycleaning, makes dinner, etc). So it wouldn't really work to divide the expenses/income. Still, things can get tense when we get into a debate over spending thousands on dolls- which I do. I LOVE my dolls. It does make me wish that I had drawn some firmer lines in the sand WAY early on. It's what I would recommend any person that is early on in their relationship do...

Right now things are a little tense about a doll convention I want to go to (and in fact have already signed up to go to) in Orlando this October. She had a fit because we are still paying off the loan for our remodel, and also because she hates Orlando, haha. I told her we could squeeze in a trip to the keys. She didn't agree so I told her I'd be taking my sister

nice move re sister!!
    We've been together 7 years now, share a house loan and remodel, and also finances. This is the first time personal expenses has been topical although it is marginal because of the ED investment value, I think he is eyeing off a classic car in the future that may be why! Our tension is how much time I spend on the doll, we had a very cranky moment a month ago and things have come good since .. now I am certain about a car in the near future!!

We are planning an overseas holiday, last week he mentioned a Fletch Classic car tour in the US .. I couldnt think of anything worse. I mentioned to Russia and include a doll expo lol .. we havent talked about the holiday since

Nice fur-baby too !! We have two, a Staffy and Aussie bulldog.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information