+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My resin project

My resin project

Hey everyone!

I have started a new doll project. Some of you may have seen some pictures of my girl on Flickr already, but I decided to share my project here with all of you. I can always use some feedback! : )

I have made one doll before, but she was made in a very cheap clay and just painted and not cast. This time I wanted to make a doll that was more durable, more anatomical and a better poser. And also a bit more "pro" looking.. So I decided to cast her in resin. That way she will be in a better and more permanent material and I can also make more than one doll with the molds.
    I sculpted the master parts in sculpey and cast her in silicone. I knew it would be a lot of work, but I never imagined it would be this hard. It really is a challenge to get all the joints to work perfectly and still make it look good! And after you finally make a mold that works, you still have a lot of cleaning up to do on the casted part with all the excess resin. And I'm a perfectionist so I'm never satisfied with my own work.. I still see a lot of details that I should have done differently. But changing them means I have to fix the master part, re-mold and re-cast and I'm just not up for that again. I did that. Many times.. But I'll probably do it later though..
    I would love to cast my dolls in porcelain, but this is not an option for me unfortunately. I don't have the money, space or materials/tools for such a project.

I am clearly inspired by EDs and for now she looks pretty "normal", but I have some plans/concepts for my future dolls that will make them a little more special.. We'll see if I ever get there. Considering this is my second attempt at making a bjd I think it could be worse.

I'll post my progress with her here for you to see, and I hope you like it!

Doll making by Tone Sabro, on Flickr

Molding process by Tone Sabro, on Flickr

Molding process by Tone Sabro, on Flickr

Casting process by Tone Sabro, on Flickr

Resin cast cleanup by Tone Sabro, on Flickr

Resin doll castings by Tone Sabro, on Flickr

Last edited by Skyrin; August 21st, 2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Tone Elizabeth

See more photos of my Enchanted Dolls here:
    My Flickr gallery

So I just assembled my resin girl after doing some minor adjustments. For instance I installed magnets in her double hip joints.
    Now that I know she poses good I'm going to disassemble her again to add lining to all the joints and paint her.

Resin doll posing by Tone Sabro, on Flickr

Tone Elizabeth

My Flickr gallery

I think it's mind-blowing that someone can create something as amazing as this at all. Great work! You will be creating masterpieces in no time! Thank you for sharing. Maybe in 100 years I'll get the courage to try, too.

Fantastic job! She poses great and has beautiful body. Thank You so much for sharing. It is always informative to see WIP pictures.
    Can not waite to see her all done

(Yes, it is a pain to create a doll and actually make those joints work, Always have to do same things many times over and over I am strugling with my own project at the moment -almost done, but I am having hard time to make myself do the knee joints , just so sick and tired of the doll at the moment -and I see all the time something to fix with the other parts... But I am going to a ceramics class in one month, so I have to finish my girl fast so I could start making her in porcelain soon.
    It is actually a good thing I can not afford to buy a porcelain doll -I have no other choice than start learning to do my own doll, it is the only way I can ever get one . And it is always fun to lear something new.
    I want to cast my doll in porcelain, because I am getting bored with resin dolls... I have more than 30 resin BJD dolls, so I need at least one porcelain )

Thanks for your comments!
    I've had to take several breaks during the doll making as it becomes so frustrating at times. You can work for several hours or days on parts and then it turns out you can't use them. But it is part of the learning experience, and it's definitely a lot to learn! I totally understand how Marina used several years to develop and fine-tune her dolls to perfection!
    Tone Elizabeth

My Flickr gallery

Way to go, girl!

ziggytaku is offline Adorned and bejeweled

My resin project

wow what an amazing job you did so inspiring !!!!
    Never stop dreaming, if you have a dream you have reason to live for. Don't let them die pursue them achieve them and find another to pursue.

Thank you so much guys!
    I'm so excited to start painting her! I hope it turns out well.. I think I'll start next week when I might have some time. I have a feeling this paint job is not going to be easy.. ;P
    Tone Elizabeth

My Flickr gallery

what type of brand is used for the resin? how much time it takes to completely cure? looking forward to the paint work.

Quote Originally Posted by Belldandy View Post
    what type of brand is used for the resin? how much time it takes to completely cure? looking forward to the paint work.
    I don't remember the brand name, sorry. I can't check for you right now as I'm not close to my workspace.. I bought it here in Norway, imported from Italy (I think).
    The resin is a two component resin. Mixed 50/50 it takes about 60 seconds for the resin to start curing and it is firm after about 3 minutes. For complete curing it takes about 30 minutes.
    Tone Elizabeth

My Flickr gallery

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information