+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: God, how I hate to sew

God, how I hate to sew

Hi,
    After fighting with a sewing pattern in Japanese (no, I don't know this language) time after time I made a prototype dress. In some places it fits perfectly, in some not ))))))

Now I'm considering what kind of cloth/fabric is perfect and praying for a motivation. Why motivation ? The doll is small and when I'm making a mistake on 1 mm the dress doesn't fit the body the way it should echhhh The worst parts are breasts and her back. Not to mention that I'm always worring about a doll damaging )))) How are you people copy with all this sewing ?

Work in progress... God pls give me a motivation by Kapiszon.ka, on Flickr

Pls could sb be so nice and advise me what/where to buy a good fabric ? A fabric thin and strong. Easy to sew and beautiful ?
    Last edited by kapiszonka; September 13th, 2014 at 11:30 AM.

Kapiszonka,well I think she looks lovely, if you aren't used to sewing then you've done an amazing job so far!! I love the whole dress,but especially the bodice and arms. Keep it up I'm sure you will conquer it

Beau thank you !!! yes I'm a novice in sewing. By the way those Japanese books are great, because even a dumb could make a dress, skirt and blouse looking on manuals If RED has a more popular doll body,, it would be no pbl at all.

The dress looks great! Can not believe You are a novice .
    I think You have to just go to fabric store and feel the fabrics in Your fingers to find the perfect one.
    (If I am ever so lucky to get ED doll, I promise to make so many clothes for her, that None of You would never have to worry about sewing )

God, how I hate to sew

I agree, buy the fabric in person! I would use a nice thin brocade for the bodice. For the skirt I would choose a complimentary colored solid color fabric. I like skirts to have some weight, so something thin but relatively "heavy" that drapes towards the floor when you hold a handful of it (instead of billowing outward).

I've also been designing a doll pattern for the first time and you are right, such a pain! It's so much easier to make a mistake than with a human. I find myself getting frustrated and have to put it down for a while or I start making silly avoidable mistakes.

I have some paintings, photos, and other artworks that I collect for each outfit that inspire me. Looking back on them reminds me that my idea was cool and it have more determination to try again
    If you have inspiration photos too, you could link to them here! Then we can confirm how wonderful your idea is and give you motivation!

Your mockup looks masterfully done! I think your final dress will be very lovely. I can't wait to see it!
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

annina is offline friendly Adminja
    It looks so beautiful, I would have never thought you are a novice, the seams look perfect!

I actually think about this a lot too, I wish I knew more about different kinds of fabrics, and which ones are thin but strong and beautiful. I think Caracal is right, the best thing is probably to go to physical fabric store so one can feel the fabrics. I bought some fabrics online and they are fine but not exactly perfect in that way, just because I don't know what to look for, so I think physical stores is the way to go for me.

I recently heard of something called "cotton voile", supposedly that's very thin and a little like silk, but I don't know if it is strong.

lilithskyblu is offline Excruciatingly Enchanted
    Wow that's gorgeous! Could I ask where you got the pattern? I too am a novice but I want to sew dresses so bad! This dress is perfect, it's a dress you can really add to it you want. Lace hanging from the sleeve, or tiny flowers around the neckline, and I love the flow of the "skirt" part. Looks like about four pieces to the bottom part?

The dress is wonderful! I'm not the world's greatest seamstress, but I try awfully hard!

Quote Originally Posted by lilithskyblu View Post
    Wow that's gorgeous! Could I ask where you got the pattern? I too am a novice but I want to sew dresses so bad! This dress is perfect, it's a dress you can really add to it you want. Lace hanging from the sleeve, or tiny flowers around the neckline, and I love the flow of the "skirt" part. Looks like about four pieces to the bottom part?
    This is My favorite doll book No 5 - patterns for Jenny Takara doll. But pls adjust a little bit patterns for RED, okay ? The dolls don't have same measurements.

Here you've got a link to all patterns ---- > https://plus.google.com/photos/11217...ums?banner=pwa

You must guess from numbers what pieces sew together, because everything is in Japanese. If anybody knows that language pls translate instructions

Petraskova thanks and fingers crossed for you !!

allurose thank you for your advise and I would try to do it tha way you've suggest

annina thank you thank you very much !!!
    Last edited by kapiszonka; September 13th, 2014 at 08:51 PM.

I think the dress looks amazing so far. I can't wait to see the end result
    For more pictures of Gwen, Arya and Moira, click here

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information