+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Messing around with super sculpey... Damn... people! This is hard as hell

Messing around with super sculpey... Damn... people! This is hard as hell

Hi there!
    I just started to try sculpting a doll face with sculpey... I'm a total amateur, if not a total noob... but I'm loving playing around with this devilish polymer clay! =)

symmetry, anatomy, everything... it's clear this is one of those works where experience and discipline make the difference (also talent of course... but that's for granted)

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=45988596

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=45988675

As I said I'm a noob at sculpting and I never used polymer clay. I googled around and made an armature. I don't know either if I will have to take the alluminium paper away before baking ><
    Last edited by Totam&clipse; September 15th, 2014 at 12:00 AM.

Excellent job! Especially for a first time

Looks great!
    I have also been doing stuff now with superclay -and I hate the material... It comes too soft and it does not want to stick to woodenbeads... Sometimes I just want to throw the darn pieces on the wall .
    I have left the aliminium paper on for the owen and it worked ok -and In most cases there has been no other way, than to just leave the paper inside.

(At the moment I am wondering if I can take pieces with primer to owen? Or does the primer melt or turn into dangerous gasses? So many things I don't know!)

Thank you so much Fitz and Caracal! ^^

I'm really glad I can leave alluminium paper where it is, otherwise it could be a real mess to remove it before baking ><

Now my only worry is about using the kitchen oven to bake sculpey. I read it contains plastic polimers and mineral oil... maybe covering everything under a glass bell while baking would be of help, preventing the potentially harmful gasses to go away!

Totam&clipseб please, do read this article about safety of baking - it was very interesting for me, because they proved, that it is safe http://thebluebottletree.com/polymer-clay-safe
    And on the site of Polyform, the manufacturer of all sculpeys, they wrote:
    "WILL BAKING THE CLAY LEAVE A RESIDUE IN MY OVEN?
    Based on tests of our polymer clays, we found that there was no residue released when the directions were followed. Many Polyform customers make a living using Sculpey® products as their art or craft medium. They do a lot of baking. For this, we recommend using professional equipment instead of home ovens, for consistency of temperature."

For me baking in glass bowl with a lid is preferred, because it is necessary to avoid convection. Hot air flows needed to be excluded.

Thank you very much Aeroksana! All the info I was looking for (and much more) condensed in a few clear lines ^^

P.S. and you have a very cool net-name!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroksana View Post
    Totam&clipseб please, do read this article about safety of baking - it was very interesting for me, because they proved, that it is safe http://thebluebottletree.com/polymer-clay-safe
    And on the site of Polyform, the manufacturer of all sculpeys, they wrote:
    "WILL BAKING THE CLAY LEAVE A RESIDUE IN MY OVEN?
    Based on tests of our polymer clays, we found that there was no residue released when the directions were followed. Many Polyform customers make a living using Sculpey® products as their art or craft medium. They do a lot of baking. For this, we recommend using professional equipment instead of home ovens, for consistency of temperature."

For me baking in glass bowl with a lid is preferred, because it is necessary to avoid convection. Hot air flows needed to be excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Totam&clipse View Post
    Thank you very much Aeroksana! All the info I was looking for (and much more) condensed in a few clear lines ^^

P.S. and you have a very cool net-name!
    Thank you!
    So, the only thing you really need to have is the oven termometer, other is optional
    Last edited by Aeroksana; September 18th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.

Evidently you can also boil polymer clay- you'd have to look up how, but then you dont have to worry about your oven, and just have a pot to worry about. Also the temperature is easier to control and there is less flattening- like you get in an oven. I dont think you can do big pieces though.

boiling sculpey, sounds interesting! Thank you, I didn't know there was another option!

Also, I didn't know oven baking will flatten the sculpts...! :o I REALLY REALLY hope there is a way to avoid this (other than wait to add detail after the first baking ...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Evidently you can also boil polymer clay- you'd have to look up how, but then you dont have to worry about your oven, and just have a pot to worry about. Also the temperature is easier to control and there is less flattening- like you get in an oven. I dont think you can do big pieces though.

It looks great for a start! I would recommend watching Hanano Yuuchi's videos on youtube about sculpting a doll's head and body. He's a Japanese master. I'm sure you'll learn a lot from his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU4XVpZqsKs

This is just one of his many videos.

ps: also, a mirror can help with keeping your doll simmetrical

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information