+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Doll : Cinderella of the North

New Doll : Cinderella of the North

Marina just posted a new doll on her blog : http://www.enchanteddoll.com/cinderella-of-the-north/

This doll actually started out in 2011 as a Chrisitian Andersen’s Matchstick Girl, but in the 3 years it took to make her, she had subverted my original intent and evolved almost of her own volition, into a Flemish Cinderella with Dutch, Belgian and Norwegian costuming influences. I photographed her in chiaroscuro, or Rembrandt Lighting, to allude to Flemish portraiture of the Golden Age and Baroque periods, which featured dark atmospheric tones, deep shadows and dramatic contrast lighting. My goal was to capture a look of a 16th century Dutch oil painting.

In allusion to the Cinderella’s formerly affluent childhood, her once opulent – now ‘peasant’ dress was stitched up with 170 richly colourful patches and embroidered with hundreds of Swarovski crystals, seed beads and Freshwater Pearls. I imagined that all those patches are fragments of her outgrown childhood gowns – now rags, which she’s been using for years to keep her one remaining tattered dress intact, while her pristine lace bonnet and precious silver slippers are the only legacy and inheritance from her dear late mother. Cindrella Of The Northis a an exploration of the darker side of the fairy tale – before the ball and the happy ever after.

The other three key influences that informed this work were a 1919 Cinderella illustration by Arthur Rackham, a novel Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire, and fairy tale illustrations by Sulamith Wulfing.
    This is gonna sound silly but as a Flemish Belgian, I'm so proud and excited to see an Enchanted Doll inspired by Flemish and Dutch Baroque painters
    For more pictures of Gwen, Arya and Moira, click here

To me this doll looks very much like Marina herself. My ex-husband used to have a theory whereas doll artists make dolls that look like themselves, but I hadn't seen it in Marina's other dolls.

To me too ))

I'm in love with this doll, I can't stop looking at her. Probably my favorite so far.

lilithskyblu is offline Excruciatingly Enchanted
    She is fantastic! And being from Dutch ancestry it's exciting to have a doll fashioned with a bit of Dutch influence! I just love the brightly colored patches against the rich blue background of the dress! I don't think Marina has done many dark colored customs has she? The blue of her dress really picks up the color of her eyes! And that hat is adorable! I so want her!!!!!

the dress is indeed gorgeous! love all the little patch work squares and the beading and that bonnet is to die for! what a beautiful doll x

Beauty! I die for this Cinderella

She is divine!

This beauty reminded me not only of Marina herself, the classic master's painting but also one of her earlier costumed dolls, Alice.
    Something about Fiori&Lavanya...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/misslk/

Love her! She is so very beautiful and touching! She was made from Gvendolyn/Duniazade mold, am I right?

lilithskyblu is offline Excruciatingly Enchanted
    Actually I see a bit of her when I look at my doll the "Bride of Frankenstein", so I wonder if they are of the same mold.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information