+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Body Blushing

Body Blushing

I took a couple of work-in-progress photos of the blushing that I've been doing on BellaBronte's doll.

One thing I feel is true, especially with these dolls, is that 'less is more'. The detail in the sculpt means that only a hint of colour is needed to accentuate the contours of the body - because there is already shadows cast in those areas.

I will try to go back and do a step-by-step post with tools and tips etc., but for now here is where we are! Can't wait to start the face!

Blushing rED by Amal, on Flickr

Blushing rED by Amal, on Flickr

What do you think, so far?!

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

Wow!... you are absolutely right. The right balance between the sculpt and body blushing. Good job!

It's looking really good Amal. I agree with you, less is definitely more, and she is coming on beautifully. Looking forward to seeing more progress pictures!

WOW!! That body blushing looks amazing. So beautiful and soft
    For more pictures of Gwen, Arya and Moira, click here

Body Blushing

I agree with your theory of blushing! Contour blushing was begun as a style in dolls to give the impression of sculptural detail that wasn't actually there. So it was important to add shading for the sake of illusion. Now many dolls have a detailed sculpt and strong shading is not necessary. Instead I would rather see blushing that shows the colors, patterns, and textures of skin. Veins, freckles, etc.

Your hands are perfect. Show us her fingernails too! I always find those the hardest to get right in color and style.
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

annina is offline friendly Adminja
    It's looking lovely Amal! I also agree, with all these details, less is more! I think you did it really beautifully! Looking forward to see as you go along!

Did you take her apart to blush her? I took mine apart and am still unable to regain the tension in her strings.
    Nice blushing job also. I personally think the areola could be a bit lighter or variable in color- but that is just a preference.

She looks great! You can still see blushing behind that snowflake lol!

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Lovely work Amal!

Thank you so much, my lovelies!

Amoreen, Bibarina, Els and Annina I'm so glad you agree and approve so far!

allurose, aha! I didn't know that - but it's very interesting and makes perfect sense! I might experiment more with skin texturing on my own doll. I really admire xhanthi's work in that respect and wonder how she and others achieve such a realistic effect - I wonder if it's done using artist sponges? I will show you the nails - I just haven't done the white tips yet. Oh, and the warhammer brushes arrived yesterday and the 'psycho' is definitely the smallest I have so far!

Fitz - No, I couldn't even get her head off!! >_< I figured if I struggled that much to get the head off, I'd struggle even more to get it back on without damaging the faceup... so she's going to remain assembled. How did you get the head off? I've never handled such a tightly strung doll - she makes everything else feel like a pancake!

I agree, about the areola, I will try and go back and add a few darker accents.

Sabrina, hehe, it's not quite as efficient as a fig-leaf, eh?! But festive, at least!

Thank you merrijane! Are you going to blush your doll?!

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information