+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Journal | 3d Model Shoes!

Project Journal | 3d Model Shoes!

Soooooooo, among other things, I started thinking about how to model some shoes for my Enchanted Doll(s!)

I was going to try a smaller project first, some bangles, but actually the size restrictions make that quite a difficult first project. So, while I mull it over, I thought I'd set to work on something else - something it seems we cannot get enough of - shoes!!

Shoe wip by Amal, on Flickr

Ok, it's a pretty modest shoe to start with! I was just thinking the process through, for practice, to see how it could be done. I drew around the foot of Neia (my porcelain doll) to use her sole as a sizing guideline. Unless I model some kind of dummy foot, I really have no way of knowing if the shoe will actually fit! But, nevermind, it's just practice for now. If I get my act together and send off for some other things that need printing, then I could add this too for a small cost, for experiment's sake.

I thought I might try to describe some of the steps in the picture above, in case anyone is interested. It seems to me that some people have a tendency to look down upon 3d modelling and printing and I find that a real shame. Some think it's some kind of sorcery, or a tool for the lazy... That's why I like to show progress photos and share the process

1) Here you can see two ellipses (loops) - one the shape of the sole and the other will make the upper opening of the shoe.

2) By applying a different curve modifier to each loop, the form of an outline (side view) starts to appear.

3) By bridging the two loops (creating faces in between), the form becomes clearer.

4) By adding more loops, the shape can be controlled to create a more rounded form.

5) Adding a subdivision surface modifier increases the face count, making the overall shape look smoother.

6) Extruding the sole downwards to create the tread and heel.

7 & 8) From different views.

My next steps will be thinking about embellishment. I could either add pattern by embossing the surface, or I'm thinking it might be nice to cut it out of the shoe. I haven't figured that bit out yet.

Hope you'll stay tuned for more!

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

I hope you can come up with a good 3D design for shoes! Have you tried uploading your file to shapeways or one of those sites? I think it is not too hard to adjust sizing?

annina is offline friendly Adminja
    This is so cool to see the steps, as I don't know much about 3D programs. Also by the way, I love this shape of the shoe, both Elise and Dun-dun would get in line for a pair of those shoes!
    I wonder, for it to fit, do you need to 3D scan the feet or can it somehow be done with measurements? Seems quite difficult!

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Gosh, in no way do I think this is "a tool for the lazy". I don't think I'd be able to cope with this level of complexity!
    I think it'd be way easier to sculpt the shoe on the foot and then have it scanned & printed.
    Thanks for sharing Amal, I look forward to seeing the results!

That looks complicated. Sign me up though!

Wow! Tool for the lazy- I don't think so! This is so interesting, as I have no real concept of 3D printing and have longed to know more! Thank you for sharing, and I look forward to all your updates!

Accordinf to me this is right up there with rocket science for things that seem mind boggling :-P
    the shoe seems lovely - I have the girls here all lining up!!
    enchanted doll outfits: www.orchidsdesigns.blogspot.com
    my artworks: www.monikaviktoria.com

Galacticat, thanks! Yes, I've used Shapeways before - I'm in the process of printing a bjd that I modelled in Sculptris and Blender. Scaling the model can help, but there is also the inflexibility of the material to take into consideration - whether or not the foot can be manouvered into the shoe. I think that I will model a basic foot, based on ED measurements and use that for guidance.

Annina, oh, I am glad the girls like the look of this! It's kind of the shape that I was going for, but I want the final look to be a bit more delicate. It will need some kind of fastening too and whereas Marina uses ribbon, I'm thinking I'd like to use leather, for a more casual appearance. I think the contrast of leather and metal will be interesting! Yes, I think that I am going to model a foot - but not a detailed one, just a blocky one like a traditional shoe 'last'.

merrijane, it does look complex - I think that puts a lot of people off. I had the program on my laptop for a whole year before I could bring myself to even open it and start learning!! I find it quite funny, for a process that is creating something visual, the software relies very heavily on language. I think that's another aspect of it's complexity - it's like learning a new language what with all the technical terms.

Sabrina, hehe! Thanks!

Bibarina, I really enjoy sharing the process of things - it really helps to motivate me I think soon enough 3d printing will become much more accessible and widely used... Wouldn't it be great to have one at home! It's like something out of Star Trek... you know, that thing that would make them food... 'the replicator', hehe!! *Geeky*

mayple, hehe, rocket science, eh?! To infinity and beyond!!!!!!

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

Hey darling Amal...how are your experiments with shoes proceeding ?
    ~ I S A D O R A ' S · B L O G ~
    ~ is being constantly updated with new dolly GOODIES and adventures ~
    { Isadora's Atelier on Facebook } { Amarilli's Flickr }

I had met some jewelry artists in a class last year- and some actually use Shapeways (or something similar) for the initial "sculpt" - then they use that to make a mold for casting metal and such-

I wish I could do that! I am very interested in your shoe project- there are so few shoe options for RED dolls-

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information