+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing Faceup

Removing Faceup

I have decided I need to try again on Isabeau's faceup. Does anyone have any idea what I can safely remove her current faceup with? I used pastels and a tiny bit of acrylic for eye liner. She has two coats of MSC on her faceup.

I found this in the forum but want to be very very sure before I use this cleaner.

"Windsor and Newton Brush Cleaner: For taking off sealer and dry acrylic. The bottles are a bit pricey, but you don't need very much. Be sure to give your doll a nice rinse in water afterwards.

-Some people have also found Isopropyl Alcohol and certain nail polish removers to work... but I've heard those can risky and sometimes damage the resin."

Thanks everyone!
    Syaron
    Last edited by Syaron; February 3rd, 2016 at 05:26 AM.

Removing Faceup

Windsor and Newton is the best. Safe and it is most effective. You can use acetone free nail polish remover, but you will have to scrub and scrub.

For removing faceups I use Windsor and Newton, and for tiny cracks (lips, eye corners), I scrub in the cracks with a q tip and wooden toothpick. You can use a craft blade for really stubborn spots, although of course you must be careful to only scratch off the sealant and not scratch the resin.

Make sure you get every bit, then wash the head with soap and warm water before you do the next faceup. Washing it helps you see places you might have missed.
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

Thank you so much!!! I will run by the craft store and pick up some today! I know I should just send her to a faceup artist but I am TERRIFIED she will get lost in the mail. After four long years of waiting I don't know if I can ever let her out of my sight. I might even be buried with her. Thank you my dear allurose!

SyaronDon't worry...I'm sure you'll do a beautiful job with your Isabeau ...I looking forward to see her new style !! :-)))

Removing Faceup

Yes, faceups are just like anything else. The more you practice the nicer it will look. And the learning process is fun, so don't worry too much!
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

I agree with allurose and danian76. And I am totally with you re burial lol! I feel the same way!!

At least you will have more experience doing the next face-up. I can understand why you don't want to send her away to be painted.

I'm using rubbing alcohol. I've read a pro/cons once on the internet (I'm not sure I can find the link) and it said rubbing alcohol was the safest and easiest way to remove faceup on resin.
    Good luck with your faceup Syaron !

Ok so I am all ready to give it a go! I have purchased some rubbing alcohol, the Windsor and Newton brush cleaner (half price with a coupon!) and a Magic Eraser. So Now on to the big moment. Thank you all for the encouragement. I have a circle of good friends standing around me with helpful words.

Quote Originally Posted by Syaron View Post
    Ok so I am all ready to give it a go! I have purchased some rubbing alcohol, the Windsor and Newton brush cleaner (half price with a coupon!) and a Magic Eraser. So Now on to the big moment. Thank you all for the encouragement. I have a circle of good friends standing around me with helpful words.
    All done!! I had some quiet time in the lab tonight so I pulled out my Windsor and Newton brush cleaner, a pile of wipes, and some swabs. Her faceup came off with no effort at all so I decided to continue on and removed ALL of her body blushing and even her mani pedi. I want to repaint her in paler colors. I thought she was a bit too heavily blushed. The pastels were light until I gave her some MSC coats and they became redder so now I know to go lightly. She is as smooth and pale as the day she came to me. Thank you all for the suggestions and encouragement!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information