+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to do the bodies?

Question How to do the bodies?

Hello!

I am going to try to make a doll. I have tried before, I used fimo clay, but I thought the clay was hard to work with so I will try super sculpey this time.

There is one thing I don't understand, and that is how to make the body. I have seen that many people makes separate body parts. How do you put it all together? Must be hard to make it fit?

I have also seen people making a "skeleton" made of wire and start building from that. I think that looks like the easiest way, but I'm not sure.

I would also like to know how you make the hair look so good! How to attach it?

I need every tip I can get!

Hello Ylvala, welcome to the forum

Please take a moment to introduce yourself and create a new thread here so that we might now a little bit about you

In case you don't already know about these websites, I think it's worth mentioning that there are two very helpful forums all about dollmaking here: The Joint and also here Woodland Earth StudioYou might find it useful to see how different artists tackle sculpting a doll in parts.

From my own experience, I would suggest that sculpting the entire doll as one piece and then cutting it up would be a good way to ensure that the proportions and the overall aesthetic of the body are successful. Also, you will want to keep the body and limbs hollow to some degree, to allow the doll to be strung with elastic once it is finished. I sculpted my first doll with Fimo Puppen and modelled the limbs around drinking straws.

For wigmaking, again there are many different methods, depending on what type of wig style you'd like and which fibres you will be using (natural, or synthetic?). I found that watching videos on YouTube (some examples here) is a good way to see the basic process.

Good luck with your dollmaking and I hope you'll share your progress

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information