+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to solve a Name Similarity between two different doll-related activities?

How to solve a Name Similarity between two different doll-related activities?

I would like to bring the attention towards a problematic which I recently realized.

When on another thread I noticed the writing "dress - Issadora Atelier" I thought it was the name I've been using for years now, "Isadora's Atelier" being misspelled, but then I realized it was a reference to the project/activity of another user.

In fact the names are almost identical, with only one letter being moved around :
    Isadora's Atelier
    Issadora Atelier

Although it's very flattering if someone is inspired by my taste and choices, I think this similarity is confusing: if it was confusing for myself, you imagine for our followers and friends (and at times also customers).

When I chose this name long ago and started my first blog dedicated to the Birthday Enchanted Doll Pearl which I named Isadora (I am sure many of you remember that time) I did of course a little research before settling for the name, to be sure no other activity in the doll niche had a similar name, not to step on anyone else's creativity, and for the mere sake of having one's own personality.

At a later time when the second activity appeared I saw that although it was also doll-related, it was not in the Enchanted Doll niche, so I naively let it go and didn't make contact with the owner.

Now since this person has come into the niche of Enchanted Dolls as well, I feel the need to ask for a suggestion on how to handle this which I think is a problem.

To begin with, my typical "kindness" made me want to just be the one to find a new name.....so I started to make small changes here and there already some time ago.....think and experiement with a new name (some of you might have noticed that I started to change my "Isadora's Atelier" to "The Romantic Boutique").

Yet thinking better upon it, since there are proofs online (dates) where one can see that I used this name first, and because it feels so much more "mine" and really perfect for what I do, I thought that it was really sad (besides complicated technically, changing all the urls, setting up redirections etc...) that I had to give it up and renounce to what I had come to thought my own creativity and efforts, and to the name I love and I have used for years now...

Although I don't have the idea if the other user actually copycatted me or if it was just plain coincidence, still, the dates speak for themselves and I know that the law (and fairness) in such cases is clear: the one who used the name first is the one who has the right to keep it.

Yet I hate fights and unfriendlyness. So I contacted yesterday night the person in question asking to please take down soonest anything bearing the combination of the name Is(s)adora + the word Atelier, and publicily announce the change to the followers, but haven't received any answer yet.

What is your advice on how to solve this issue in the fairest manner?
    I really want to keep the name I have lovingly chosen, but I do not agree to create confusion in the same niche with the presence of a clone of that same name.

Thanks for any help
    ~Amarilli & Isadora
    ~ I S A D O R A ' S · B L O G ~
    ~ is being constantly updated with new dolly GOODIES and adventures ~
    { Isadora's Atelier on Facebook } { Amarilli's Flickr }

Hmmm, I notice with a google search, that Issadora Atelier seems to be a French name? Could it not be a coincidence?

Also, this lady using the handle "Issadora Atelier" seems to be actually using her own name- her flickr page has been there since 2010- was that before you started using "Isadora's Atlier"? https://www.flickr.com/photos/odyseja2010/

I can see why you'd be upset, but I think you cannot begrudge someone using their own name right?
    Last edited by Galacticat; March 7th, 2016 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galacticat View Post
    Hmmm, I notice with a google search, that Issadora Atelier is not too uncommon a name? Could it just be coincidence?
    Galacticat, the names Google finds, are all the one I refer to (in the doll world). Several links for the same project, like many have (widespread presence on the web).

The fact that this one was created after mine, doesn't exclude that it could be a coincidence....

But still I am wondering what is the best way to solve it, when 2 almost identical names start to confuse people because they occupy the same space/niche...

Her Tumblr is actually in Polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekare View Post
    Her Tumblr is actually in Polish.
    Oh ok....also her blog http://issadora-dolls-atelier.blogspot.it/ ....save for the URL and title which are in english.
    Last edited by Grevling; March 8th, 2016 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galacticat View Post
    Hmmm, I notice with a google search, that Issadora Atelier seems to be a French name? Could it not be a coincidence?

Also, this lady using the handle "Issadora Atelier" seems to be actually using her own name- her flickr page has been there since 2010- was that before you started using "Isadora's Atlier"? https://www.flickr.com/photos/odyseja2010/

I can see why you'd be upset, but I think you cannot begrudge someone using their own name right?
    Thanks for your research Galacticat.
    No I'm not begrudging her, I'm just looking for a solution

But so you don't find that confusing, that one doll project is called Issadora Atelier and one is called Isadora's Atelier?

I'm here to hear opinions....I'm open to your ideas and impressions and suggestions !

I thought that would be confusing....as per the research I've made, even in the case of two names like Trojan SEO and Three Trojans SEO, the similarity is such that technically, one of the two would have to change its name.
    Of course here I'm simply counting on her courtesy. If she doesn't change it, I will change it....but I don't see how that would be the fairest solution, seen that so many here in the Enchanted Dolls Forums have known me so long by this name and also as far as I could research, I can document that I have used this name before she did.

But if you think that I should be the one to change the name, I'm open to that opinion as well. Or you think we could both keep such similar names and people would know the difference?

Anyway no she opened the flickr account in 2010 but the username was "Odyseja2010", and first she marked the photos with the name "kavainka" up to 20 nov.2011, then "Odyseja2010" from 29 nov 2011 then jumping a bit back and forth with the names/copyright marks.
    The name Issadora on her photos appeared first later (see date of the individual photos, this first one says 2012) and the association Issadora + Atelier came as far as I can see even later (the blog in polish, having both those words in the URL, doesn't start before 2013) apparently after a transition where she used the (in my opinion beautiful) name of Issadora Pleasures and Treasures (which I would have kept if I was her).

As I said my blog with name Isadora's Atelier started in 2011 http://isadorasatelier.blogspot.it/2...d-welcome.html and my Etsy shop which used to be called Isadora's Atelier (and always had the URL isadorasatelier before I started to try the recent changes) was opened on Feb 1st 2011, as can be proven here https://www.etsy.com/people/isadorasatelier .

I have no idea if Issadora is her name or not, but using one's own name Issadora doesn't technically force one to associate it with the word "Atelier" ... least it's her family name don't you think?
    Last edited by Grevling; March 8th, 2016 at 01:39 AM.

annina is offline friendly Adminja
    I have to admit I also noticed the similar name a couple of days ago and was confused. It's good that you have written to them, Grevling, and hopefully a solution that works for everyone can be found. It seems they adopted that name after you, and now that they are branching out into clothing for Enchanted Doll, it could be confusing for there to be two such similar names. I'm hoping for you that they will be willing to change their name.
    I definitely don't think you should have to change your name because it's already well known here now and you have used it for longer.

Maybe there is another solution, where you both just keep your names, as it simply can happen that similar names will pop up, just like there is a resin bjd and eye company called Enchanted Doll, which is the same as Marina's Enchanted Doll. It can sometimes get confusing but only until one looks at the actual doll / eyes in question and then they are two different things. Though of course when the names are so similar and the created things are for the same dolls, it's not exactly the same situation.

Another solution could be for them to keep either the name Issadora, or Atelier, but not both, then it wouldn't be as confusing.

Either way, all of us can't really do much, it is between the both of you to come to a solution, and I hope it will be one that works for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Grevling View Post
    Thanks for your research Galacticat.
    No I'm not begrudging her, I'm just looking for a solution

But so you don't find that confusing, that one doll project is called Issadora Atelier and one is called Isadora's Atelier?

I'm here to hear opinions....I'm open to your ideas and impressions and suggestions !

I thought that would be confusing....as per the research I've made, even in the case of two names like Trojan SEO and Three Trojans SEO, the similarity is such that technically, one of the two would have to change its name.
    Of course here I'm simply counting on her courtesy. If she doesn't change it, I will change it....but I don't see how that would be the fairest solution, seen that so many here in the Enchanted Dolls Forums have known me so long by this name and also as far as I could research, I can document that I have used this name before she did.

But if you think that I should be the one to change the name, I'm open to that opinion as well. Or you think we could both keep such similar names and people would know the difference?

Anyway no she opened the flickr account in 2010 but the username was "Odyseja2010", and first she marked the photos with the name "kavainka" up to 20 nov.2011, then "Odyseja2010" from 29 nov 2011 then jumping a bit back and forth with the names/copyright marks.
    The name Issadora on her photos appeared first later (see date of the individual photos, this first one says 2012) and the association Issadora + Atelier came as far as I can see even later (the blog in polish, having both those words in the URL, doesn't start before 2013) apparently after a transition where she used the (in my opinion beautiful) name of Issadora Pleasures and Treasures (which I would have kept if I was her).

As I said my blog with name Isadora's Atelier started in 2011 http://isadorasatelier.blogspot.it/2...d-welcome.html and my Etsy shop which used to be called Isadora's Atelier (and always had the URL isadorasatelier before I started to try the recent changes) was opened on Feb 1st 2011, as can be proven here https://www.etsy.com/people/isadorasatelier .

I have no idea if Issadora is her name or not, but using one's own name Issadora doesn't technically force one to associate it with the word "Atelier" ... least it's her family name don't you think?
    Oh, that is interesting- I guess I don't know what to think then. I can see how it would be confusing certainly. And annoying to you, since you had been the only one previously that you knew of involved in ED. Is she selling stuff for ED then? Or just using that as a handle for her flickr?

I agree the best thing to do would be to try and work it out with her. I think the challenge will be in conveying your concerns without making her defensive (not an easy task if you are communicating by email).

I hope it works out!!

I actually was pretty annoyed when the Enchanted Doll eyes came into being and started selling- it makes it much harder to search for news/photos/posts of the real ED.

How to solve a Name Similarity between two different doll-related activities?

I think legally if your name is not a trademark you can't force anyone to change their name Especially if they are in a different country. But I agree that it would be a common courtesy for her to change her name. Also, I can't see how it possibly would be beneficial to her to share a name with someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Ama,

I understand where your concern and frustration is coming from - especially now as you are both working in the same niche. However, I don't think that you have to change your name - even if Issadora chooses not to change hers.

The watermark on her photos is ' Issadora's Pleasures and Treasures' which is at least a little bit different. And also the Flickr title Doll et Cetera and username odyseja2010 show that there are a couple of pseudonyms in use here. I think Issadora Atelier doesn't seem like her definitive name and maybe with time it will change anyway.

When searching 'Isadora's Atelier' there is even another artist on Facebook using the name - but obviously you're working in different circles, so that wouldn't necessarily be a problem. Your Etsy shop is the 4th result - i.e. on the first page, which is good and means that Google, so far, isn't confusing the two.

Ama, my advice to you, if you really want to keep the name (which I think you should, if you want to) would be to make use of your personal website, by inserting the phrase 'Isadora's Atelier' on every relevant page in the html meta data tag. This will help with SEO. You could make sure that Google is picking up recent results by blogging frequently (even if short, or just picture posts). I would also keep your FB page the same name (don't lose it!) and see if you can set up an Instagram with name too. What you want to do is create a very strong coherent online brand - trying to use the same name everywhere. You already have the FB and Etsy sorted

I really don't think that it will have a bad effect on you - you have a very enthusiastic, longstanding and happy customer base who know you within the community as Amarilli. Having good feedback and a good relationship (friendship!) with other hobbyists, in my opinion, is much more valuable than the name you use

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information