+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to solve a Name Similarity between two different doll-related activities?

Hi Grevling,

It is really unfortunate and I empathise with you. However, the word Atelier means workshop or studio, and is used by a lot of people who are in the bjd, art and craft world. Amal is correct, Issadora usually does use the name 'Issadora's pleasures and treasures'. I don't know her personally, but she has been a part of the BJD world for many years, so I shouldn't imagine she would wish to change her name now. Your paths just haven't crossed due to being in slightly different doll circles it seems. I wouldn't read anything sinister into this, it is just a coincidence. :-)

Thank you so much for all of your very useful considerations, dear friends !
    They have really helped me make my decision which I now feel is right.

You are right Amal...your advice was very precious and inspiring (today I set up an instagram account for Isadora's Atelier, and it already has more activity than my personal one ! good thought my dear!) and I have in fact decided to go in that direction : keep my original name, and do not care for what happens around.

This for several reasons.
    Since I was a little kid I've been the one going to the side to let others more determined take what was already my place. As Annina said to me "it's perhaps time to learn to stand up for ourselves and confront the problem instead of just backing out". Thank you for your Wise words Annina !

Secondly I have done research online and found out that this type of phenomena is extremely common (I was surprised by how much) and all the activities or blogs etc which attract some interest and have a certain degree of success, sooner or later experience that someone is using their same/similar name~graphics~blog posts~whatever. Their advice is simply to use the occasion to get even stronger. I liked that. Exactly as Amal suggested ...

I don't think it is ideal that two activities in the same niche use so similar names....but I must say that in this specific case, the confusion generated is worse for the other person than for me....because I've been known longer here, as Annina said: when she saw her name, she thought I made the dress.....so in fact, if I was her, for my own interest, I would rapidly change back to one of the many other names used back and forth, and be sure to get known consistently through one of those. So the people who has known me & Isadora for longer time here won't attribute her work to me for an error, like Annina did.

Many of the newest members of the Forum don't know me as much as the mods and the oldest, because I've been kind of "idle" a long while, because I broke my camera, and my smartphone wasn't good to take fun & bquality photos...I never prioritate the necessity of a new camera in those 3 years, so also my presence in the Forums, flickr etc has been less regular, although I continued to have a more private contact with my beloved doll friends from here.

Now I just bought a new camera and I also found new enthusiasm around Isadora's blog...I was commissioned several wigs for the arrival of the new girls, also in Rococò style, and some not for Enchanted Dolls....I finally managed after years of trials to create a material I like, to make gracious stilettos for Isadora....I got to paint my friend's RED Artemisia......a lot is taking my attention back to the doll world, so I hope to be able to participate more actively here than I've done in the last 3 years, both here and through the "Isadora's Atelier" Blog

Thank you guys
    ~ I S A D O R A ' S · B L O G ~
    ~ is being constantly updated with new dolly GOODIES and adventures ~
    { Isadora's Atelier on Facebook } { Amarilli's Flickr }

Quote Originally Posted by Bibarina View Post
    Hi Grevling,

It is really unfortunate and I empathise with you. However, the word Atelier means workshop or studio, and is used by a lot of people who are in the bjd, art and craft world. Amal is correct, Issadora usually does use the name 'Issadora's pleasures and treasures'. I don't know her personally, but she has been a part of the BJD world for many years, so I shouldn't imagine she would wish to change her name now. Your paths just haven't crossed due to being in slightly different doll circles it seems. I wouldn't read anything sinister into this, it is just a coincidence. :-)
    I do believe in coincidences, see, I just found another one !!!! the use of the "~" signs around the name thee hee... yes me and her must definetly be twin souls ...

How to solve a Name Similarity between two different doll-related activities?

I agree, it is too confusing. I always thought even Isadora's Pleasures and Treasures was the same as your business. If it was me, I would not want to share this similarity in business name either. I would do exactly what you are doing, find out who was using the name first, and ask the other person to change their business name. It is not good for either of you to share it like this. I think even sharing the name Isadora is too close and will confuse customers.

I agree with what others are saying, it is almost certainly a coincidence and not malicious. Hopefully the other artist will be willing to have an open discussion about it and one of you can change the name, to the benefit of both of you.
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

How to solve a Name Similarity between two different doll-related activities?

Quote Originally Posted by allurose View Post
    I agree, it is too confusing. I always thought even Isadora's Pleasures and Treasures was the same as your business. If it was me, I would not want to share this similarity in business name either. I would do exactly what you are doing, find out who was using the name first, and ask the other person to change their business name. It is not good for either of you to share it like this. I think even sharing the name Isadora is too close and will confuse customers.

I agree with what others are saying, it is almost certainly a coincidence and not malicious. Hopefully the other artist will be willing to have an open discussion about it and one of you can change the name, to the benefit of both of you.
    Thank you Allurose for your confirmation. I hope she will get in touch. So far, nothing, but I am now proceeding independently from her answer, reverting to what has always been my project"s name... Just wondering if she is maybe on holiday, or perhaps is not proficient in english?
    As you also point out, it's proven now that it would be healthier also for her business to distance herself from my "shadow"....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

You both have a lot of skill and some success with your business. Success in business depends on fulfilling expectations. I would not be a satisfied customer if I ordered a corset from you and in my mind I had pictured the ones she makes. It doesn't even really matter which corset is "better" just whether I got what I expected. If the names are similar, people will confuse your businesses and have false expectations of both of you.
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

So true allurose, so perfectly said.
    Thank you

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

annina is offline friendly Adminja
    Ama I think that's great, I'm glad my words helped and I think you have made the right decision, to stand by your name and to focus on your business without caring too much about what happens around it, and just keep going with your work. Of course it would be better if the other person would use one of her other names so there would be no confusion, but even if that doesn't happen, I think your approach feels good.

Also wow, I love the new top banner of Isadora on her blog, she looks amazing with flame red hair! ♥
    www.isadorasatelier.amarilliart.com/

Thank you Annina, you are so dear thanks for leaving such a beautiful comment in Isadora's Blog

Hello Grevling and Enchanted Doll Enthusiasts!

This is my first post on this Forum, I joined here in the end of 2015 as a "Issadora".
    I'm sorry for late reply, I discovered the topic yesterday evening and I was a little shocked reading this public discussion about me without me.. it looks like criminal investigation but in fact what an unhappy debut I have here now It's not so fair to solve the problem in this way I think.. But my fault, I had a short break in hobby, I didn't check my flickr in time and I didn't know -_-
    Let me introduce myself and my activities in dolls-community now: "Issadora" this is my nickname inspired by my double REAL name Izabela Dorota (Isabelle Dorothy) and I use this form from July 2010, when I jointed to the international dolls-forum "Den of Angels" https://denofangels.com/members/issadora.51415/
    I started to sew for bjd for the first customers on DoA, they recognised me by my nickname so I started to sign my photos "Issadora's Pleasures and Treasures BJD", on my flickr I created separate album for my handmade works titled ~~Issadora Atelier~~ which means my name + workshop/studio/atelier. Nobody ever wrote to me because of my nick/sign/watermark and I don't feel like your "shadow" or "copy".. As somebody noticed I had many vocabulary-changes - the reason: the dolls and my creativity for dolls are my hobby from 2010 not serious business. I don't sell via eBay, Etsy or another e-store. I don't do malicious "promotion" - when I started my adventure with bjd/abjd I didn't know you. I love various bjd in various scale and I love to do things for them: clothes, shoes, wigs.. I don't copy you or somebody else, even if I use that signs "~~" I often use also "**" or "^^"
    But of course, I understand your point of view and my situation now.. I'll change my "name", I have no choice. But I need some time to create something "mine" to replace my current alter ego..
    Hmm, I think that's all what I could explain in this theme..
    I hope you understand me too ^^
    Thank you!
    ~~~~~~~~~collector & couturier~~~~~~~~~

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information