+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: First wig... attempt :)

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Hi Mekare, I think judging the hairline is tricky. Have you seen this photo of Marina's Ruby wearing her wig cap? It might help provide you with some guidance.

First wig... attempt :)

Ah! So my first hairline actually looks close to this! Thank you! I haven't seen this photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good so far! Can't wait to see it finished! I like the painted eyes too!

So far, so good Mekare. The hairline does go quite high looking at the picture Merrijane posted of Ruby. I love how our REDs are inspiring such creativity. I'm about to embark on another wig making project - it's fun. Nicely painted eyes too!

Thank you, Bibarina!

I just ordered myself some really tiny brushes, and is looking forward to experimenting with them. Woohoo!

Leadinglady, yes! I don't know what I'm doing half of the time, but it's so much fun! Haha

Can't wait for my mannequin to arrive from Dina, so I could make my wig caps on an actual correct size of the head. Or more correct than mine.

I still don't have my alpaca hair, so I think I'll end up with a hundred wig caps by the time it arrives 😄

So today I decided to try and make the cap on the doll itself. This seems to be easier, because it allows me to go around the ears right from the start.

With other wig caps, I had to stretch them over doll's head first and then cut out the cap over the ears.

That resulted in stretching of the cap.

Also, I decided to try 2 layers of cheese cloth instead of three + an extra layer of glue, when first layer dries.

Why? I don't know. But we shall see what will come of it 😄

This type of cap may be washable...

Or not.

So it seems, water washed out some of the glue. So it's washable, but maybe 2-3 times, no more. And hair will most likely wash out.

So no.

I want to try some waterproof glue...

Hi Mekare
    I used a stocking as my wig cap, at first I tried various sheer fabrics but the stocking had great stretch. I used carpenters glue which is white and dries clear, is thin and strong. Now dry I cant pull the hair out at all!
    The weight pulled the hairline back a little but not too much due the magnet. My main lesson is less hair and it will take some practice to fine tune the part making skills

Thank you for the tip, Dina! I actually do want to try a stocking! Did you do just one layer?

By the way, see, this is why I need that mannequin

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information