+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painted Eyes

Painted Eyes

I'm a great fan of painted eyes. Let's have a thread where we discuss techniques and share our pictures!

So this my first try:

And today I set out to paint another eye

And here's what I got:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Painted Eyes

They are kinda different size, but it's a start

Painted Eyes

And then I painted this guy...

Well done! Ooooh I want one of your magnifying thingummys!!! Lol!

Painted Eyes

You know where I got my magnifying thingy? I was preparing to paint, and my husband walks out with a box and says: "Look what I have!" He's a sound designer and sound engineer, so this was a lamp someone gave him as a present. It a small soldering station 😄😄😄

Quote Originally Posted by Mekare View Post
    You know where I got my magnifying thingy? I was preparing to paint, and my husband walks out with a box and says: "Look what I have!" He's a sound designer and sound engineer, so this was a lamp someone gave him as a present. It a small soldering station 😄😄😄

Fantastic!! What a present!!

I know, right! I couldn't believe my eyes Because a week before that, I was looking at something like that at Michael's, but it was too expensive, so I didn't get it. Also, I figured, I'm not going to be painting eyes on an industrial scale anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by Mekare View Post
    I know, right! I couldn't believe my eyes Because a week before that, I was looking at something like that at Michael's, but it was too expensive, so I didn't get it. Also, I figured, I'm not going to be painting eyes on an industrial scale anyway )
    If you are in the US and have access to a Harbor Freight you can find these at very reasonable prices. Harbor Freight sells tons of tools and such. As an electrician I have purchased many of my tools and equipment from them. I have a mounted magnifier for soldering and circuit board repairs but learned long ago that they are perfect for other tiny detail work. Harbor Freight has the lighted magnifiers that clamp to your table and also the ones that are lighted that you wear on your head. Much cheaper than Michael's.

Painted Eyes

Syaron, thank you for the awesome tip! I'm sure it will be useful to a lot of people here!

Well done, Mekare! I like that painted eyes can be appreciated for their looking painterly - i.e. they look beautiful without having to be ultra realistic (which is super difficult on this tiny scale). Some of Marina's dolls have eyes that are quite stylistically Anime, which I think gives them lots of life (lots of light and reflections). Some artists over-work their eyes when trying to achieve realism and I think it kills the dolls expression sometimes.

I am still working on eyes for my doll... will share progress too, when I start

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information