+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making Marina's Doll Stand

Making Marina's Doll Stand

I have a controversial question. Maybe Chad can answer...

Anyway. Marina is not making the stands anymore, from what I understand, which is totally her right. She doesn't have to make or sell them, as it obviously takes time.

But... there's no stand out there that can be used that is safe for our dolls and unobtrusive. Basically Marina made the perfect stand.

I feel like safety in this sense is very important, because our dolls are kind of pricey and we need to be able to stand them safely. I feel like this should go without saying.

So I was wondering, since Marina does not have time, and also the stands were kind of cheap and not a major profit point for her business, maybe, we could be allowed to literally make a copy of the stand ourselves? Because hiring a welder is not a problem and then figuring out the wire, even not perfectly, may be possible.

Thoughts?

The stand itself is not too complicated and many artists use a similar design for their dolls.

I would be happy to have a stand that holds my rED securely. It wouldn't need to be an exact copy to do that.
    Fine jewels for dolls at Tiny Jewels Shop on Etsy
    Follow me on Flickr!

Agree. But here's the thing. Other artists are not eager to make stand for us either.

We could also come up with some sort of stand, and I'm sure, but no-one ever did in all these years. So the likelihood of someone making one now is low. And this design is tried and tested and works for ED's. Just saying.

Now, to be absolutely clear, I don't mean like copy it and sell it for profit. Not at all. I'm thinking of the people who actually own the dolls but were not able to get a stand. That they could make it for themselves, or someone could make a bunch and everyone would pitch in and share the cost.

Again, if there is a prospect of Marina making and selling more stands, then of course no.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (Home of the Kentucky Derby horse race & the worlds best Bourbons.
    I didn't even know there was a stand specifically to fit them. Would it also work with the REDs? I would love to have something I could use when I want my girls to stand upright safely--and would show off their clothing without detracting from them.

My Paperwhite dolls have very similar stands. The design of a stand is simple and in my opinion not a matter of copyright as long as the ED brand name isn't put on the stand. Just because so many artists make the same kind of stand. The main thing they change is the material used for the bottom, which is largely a decorative choice.

I would be happy to post pictures of my Paperwhite stands for people to reference. They would work perfectly for ED except they are the wrong height.

Here are a couple I have already: https://flic.kr/p/e2HpX4
    https://flic.kr/p/dXMjWg

I could be wrong but I don't think any welding was required.
    Last edited by allurose; July 21st, 2016 at 06:05 PM.
    Follow me on Flickr!

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (Home of the Kentucky Derby horse race & the worlds best Bourbons.
    Thank you, allurose. and Mekare for the links & pix.
    If I'm looking at the Paperwhite stands correctly, they don't bend like Marina's do. On the other hand, Marina's stands that copper wire looks as though it might scratch the dolls especially the REDS, and puncture delicate clothing.
    I like the basic concept of these stands, but wonder if Marina's would give better posing ability, but maybe could be dipped in a rubbery substance to avoid scratching with the copper. Some other doll stands for nicer dolls are coated to prevent scratching.

Yes, you are correct, they do not bend. It hasn't gotten in the way of posing yet. I do wish the base was more flat and less noticeable.

Yes, they have a rubber coating. I think it is essential for protecting clothes and resin dolls.
    Follow me on Flickr!

Yeah, I was going to say the same too. Bending is important, in Marina's own words: "Having an articulated doll ‘locked’ into a stick-like, stiff stand completely defeats the point of its articulation and makes it look like, well…a doll on display."

I feel like something akin to Marina's stand with the rubber coating would be perfect

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information