+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Marina has REALLY been up to.....

Red face What Marina has REALLY been up to.....

Quote Originally Posted by merrijane View Post
    Did anyone else notice that Marina's blog entry a few months later (September, 2015)....

"There have been some rumblings of discontent and a growing restlessness at my prolonged absence and ‘abandonment’, but I really needed this time off due to a quite severe burn out. I love making dolls, but that is not the only thing I love doing. There are numerous non-doll art projects that have been simmering on my back burner for several years because dolls always took priority. It got to the point where I could no longer paint another doll eyelash or sew another bead on yet another doll dress without feeling sad and resentful and pressured by expectations.
    So, this summer of 2015 was my creative break from dolls and my indulgence in other art forms. I built furniture! I designed interiors! I reorganized and cataloged all my beads and began renovating my art studio. I delved into horticulture! I went on wilderness adventures! I hung out with friends, sometimes in the wilderness. I took (and passed) a swift river rescue certification course in Montana! I even ordered a colouring book on Amazon (Secret Garden by Johanna Basford) and spent days laying in the grass, sipping cold beer and blissfully colouring in somebody else’s drawings without any concern for my doll output – something I would normally consider to be utterly pointless and detrimental to my productivity! But it wasn’t – it was a pressure release valve."
    In a different thread everyone has been wondering why there is no news from Marina. Merrijane found this comment (above) and it has all led us to ask ourselves....

What has Marina been up to?

Well, put on your EDDA (Enchanted Doll Detective Agency) thinking caps on, and let your creative and imaginative speculations come up with the answer we are all waiting for!!
    What HAS she been up to? Perhaps she has been studying to become an astronaut and study molecular fungi life forms on other planets, or perhaps she has travelled to Africa to take an intensive workshop on communicating effectively with meercats, maybe she's decided to learn every single known Eskimo language currently still in use, or perhaps she's researching how to ..... well... you answer!!

Isn't it obvious? Marina and Chad have taken on the classics! Jules Verne to be exact! They have been exploring the Centre of the Earth, discovering the deepest caves, unknown flora and fauna, traveling through the long lost ruins of Atlantis swallowed by the earth with their faithful manservant Hans and his goose leading the way. And once they reached the centre and traveled to the surface, they began construction on a glorious lost wax silver submarine, all art deco and steam powered and they searched for and found Captain Nemo. With the good captain ,they traveled all the way around the earth under the sea and the ice caps. He deposited them on the shores of France where they boarded a glorious hot air balloon to travel Around the World in Eighty Days and are even now trekking through the jungles of The Lost World. Ah, to be young and filled with possibilities!

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Hahaha...you two have quite the imaginations! Will there be a prize for the correct guess?

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (Home of the Kentucky Derby horse race & the worlds best Bourbons.
    I believe you left out Marina & Chad traversing the skies over the sands of the Sahara desert, narrowly missing the Pyramids of Giza, on their magic carpet ride, which took 1001 Arabian nights to complete.

I agree with merrijane there are some very furtive imaginations out there! Given how practical Marina is, my guess is they've decided to buy a ranch out in the Canadian wilderness. Being remote it has very poor internet coverage (bit like living in Devon - UK) - hence the silence. Marina is busy scouring flea markets for unusual finds which she will use to transform the wilderness ranch into an emporium of shabby chicness. Chad meanwhile has embarked on a extreme "Get to know the wilderness" course with some chap called Leo (lol)!

Maybe she's taken up modeling for Camilla

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5197465..._home_active_2

Dollcat, you are a brilliant detective. Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by dollcat View Post
    Maybe she's taken up modeling for Camilla

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5197465..._home_active_2
    Nice find!

I know that she is a fan of Camilla's, since she has mentioned her in her blog, and since some of her helmets are based on Camilla's ideas.

Not to derail the subject, but I wish that Marina would work with Camilla to make some of her illustrations into dolls- if anyone could do it, Marina could, and I have always loved the Helmet Girls... (I've even tried to make my own helmets for my own ED, but with not much success, haha)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Dollcat, you are a brilliant detective. Impressive!
    Thanks Sabrina! I didn't expect to find Marina at all - I was actually just shopping in Camilla's store. But there's something sweet about one artist being another's muse And I had to post here at the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Galacticat View Post
    Nice find!

I know that she is a fan of Camilla's, since she has mentioned her in her blog, and since some of her helmets are based on Camilla's ideas.

Not to derail the subject, but I wish that Marina would work with Camilla to make some of her illustrations into dolls- if anyone could do it, Marina could, and I have always loved the Helmet Girls... (I've even tried to make my own helmets for my own ED, but with not much success, haha)
    I totally agree with you, Galacticat, I'd kill for a doll helmet and I saw somewhere here on the forum that you took a metal class and documented how hard it was to make a crown - so cool!! But right now Camilla's really into animal helmets - with lots of fur and long tails. That might not be impossible to make at home for a doll with a needle and thread? And it is really cute because it's like a living cuddle hat - every time I see one of these illustrations I break into a smile.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information