+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Defending My Doll Hobby

Defending My Doll Hobby

I recently posted some pictures of Arbella and Madame de Pompadour on my Facebook page. Most of my friends are fascinated by my doll collection and like to see the pictures. However, one of my friends (who has an opinion on everything) left a rather snarky comment which belittled Madame de Pompadour. I sent her a link to Marinas work in the hope that it would enlighten her about the art of doll making. My friend acknowledged that Marina's work was clever (and expensive), she then went on to say that she thought the dolls were weird and that they fulfilled the male fantasy of a child/woman. I didn't respond back as I don't feel I should have to defend Marina's art or my hobby. I feel it says more about her and what she is projecting onto the dolls. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Why are you friends with this person... xxx life is very short.

Forgive me if that sounds a little blunt. She doesn't sound very supportive.
    Last edited by Anna; November 10th, 2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: qualifying blunt answer
    vimeo flickr website
    Be kind
    trying to be zen

Actually Anna, I asked myself this question? I don't want to loose her as a friend as she is wise and has given me sound advice. I was quite shocked by how she reacted to the dolls, perhaps I'm taking it too much to heart?!

Oh yesssss... I have learnt to be wary of sharing too much unless I'm sure it is with someone who will understand - even if they don't feel the same way, I would at least hope that they'd respect the artform and my interests. In the past I've received some very strange (both puzzling and hurtful) comments from one particular colleague who thought it was very interesting that 'I' in particular would find these particular dolls appealing. I didnt ask her to elaborate because that comment was loaded with meaning and suggested that she had preconceived ideas about me and my beliefs! She also made comments about them being overly sexualized and pandering to the male fantasy. I didn't venture trying to change her mind because as you say, she was projecting her own strong ideas onto Marina's work and that's her perogative. When she asks me now about my own dolls, I prefer to change the subject! Also it's surprising to me how many people just get hung up on the price ...that's not the most interesting thing about these dolls!!!

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

You have echo'd my thoughts completely aneemal. What made me so surprised is that my friend is an art collector (her husband featured on 'Antiques Roadshow' recently ... a nude bathers painting in the primitive style). I've calmed down a bit now lol 😊. Thanks for reassuring me!

Quote Originally Posted by Leadinglady View Post
    Actually Anna, I asked myself this question? I don't want to loose her as a friend as she is wise and has given me sound advice. I was quite shocked by how she reacted to the dolls, perhaps I'm taking it too much to heart?!
    Your feelings are yours. I think you hit the nail on the head when you wrote it says more about her and if I may add, her own issues. x I am delighted you feel calmer.
    vimeo flickr website
    Be kind
    trying to be zen

Quote Originally Posted by aneemal View Post
    Oh yesssss... I have learnt to be wary of sharing too much unless I'm sure it is with someone who will understand ..
    Snap!! me too. My passion and interest for Marinas dolls, was initially met by amusement in some quarters. As an artist, sharing Marinas work with any other artist has produced some very satisfying "wowee!! They are amazing" . It's a joy to share with folk that can relate to the artistry, work and beauty that's present. There is SO much going on with these dolls.
    vimeo flickr website
    Be kind
    trying to be zen

It has never ceases to amaze me how strange some people's reaction are to dolls, especially these dolls. I get those odd looks and questions too that make me scratch my head and think how strange the response is. These are life changing creations, art beyond art itself, a dream for the ages. At least that is my feeling. When I encounter someone who thinks they are weird or strange or heaven forbid, creepy, it changes my feeling sometimes for the person though I know that may be irrational. I actually get a little insulted and sometimes I think that was the point from the other person.

I have experienced people who have an almost visceral response to dolls. Viva La'difference. I don't always appreciate the things they like either. If they can't see the beauty in Enchanted Dolls than that is fine in my books because they are lots of doll lovers out there and we have this lovely forum to share that love.

I have been very lucky with my friends' reaction to my hobby! Whilst most aren't interested in the hobby per se, they are interested in the dolls and the process of making them, especially when they realise how tiny they are! My Enchanted Doll book is always being lent out on request!! I recently met up with the illustrators Roger and Linda Garland, and when they realised I had a Resin Enchanted Doll, told me how much they admired Marina's work and always favourite my posts! I have another friend who is a fantastic artist, and she too thinks Marina's work is amazing! It seems to me that artists themselves appreciate the work that goes into the dolls, so perhaps these 'art collectors' are being 'art snobs' lol!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information