+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Defending My Doll Hobby

My experiences so far have been positive. Mind you a preclude my doll story with, 'oh by the way I am a crazy doll lady nowadays'. That way once they see any of the dolls, my artwork associated with them and the photography they are very interested and appreciate the artistry.

Thanks everyone for the advice etc. Syaron it has definitely altered how I view this person. It has made me realise how judgemental she is about everything! Most of my friends are creative types and enjoy seeing Marinas work - including the book. Ha ha Dina I often say that since moving to Devon, I've become this crazy doll lady!

There seem to be 2 things that people react poorlly to a) doll collecting by an adult (they don't see it as valid, or dolls as art) and 2) judgment about female nudity/breasts/pubic area.

The anti-doll thing is pretty widespread- and I think a knee-jerk reaction to those who have been taught that dolls are for children and people who like dolls are therefore immature or "weird" in a not good way.

The negative reactions to nudity? Well I bet your friend is an American. Americans are terrified of nudity, ESPECIALLY female nudity. It comes from Puritanical roots, and is hard to shake. The Puritans were actually so afraid of nudity that they didn't bath...

But also in many cultures there is this idea that female anatomy is not beautiful. It is either "disgusting" or "erotic" or "perverted" and not natural. I think that idea is really just a product of misogyny.

A lot of people I know have separate accounts on FB for their private/everyday life and one for their doll-hobby presence. I very rarely post about anything on my personal page, and never about dolls. Not because I am worried about peoples reactions so much, as a lot more of my doll friends whom I enjoy talking to will be following my doll page, and I prefer to keep it all together.

When I was first REALLY into Marina's work and I had photo's printed out of her dolls that I showed to fellow artists - sculptors and painters, one of them who was a big appreciator of the female form flipped out and remarked they were the product of predatory male fantasy. I was stumped, as he likes other type of art, and depictions of women, but Marinas dolls must have made him uncomfortable as they must have forced him to question what he felt aroused by, would be my guess regarding his reaction.
    enchanted doll outfits: www.orchidsdesigns.blogspot.com
    my artworks: www.monikaviktoria.com

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    I wonder if it's the leap from doll (child's toy) to doll as an artform that stumps some people. Maybe they find it uncomfortable to get their head around seeing something they've previously only considered as a plaything for children, become more sexualised. Whereas the same connection doesn't apply to sculpture or paintings for example.

Firstly! Have very poor internet where I live in Devon, so can't always get online to comment! I just figure that some people have lots of hang ups!

I too have been hurt by a friends reaction to my porcelain doll ( not enchanted)
    Don't really want to explain what she said but I was so shocked that a good friend
    would come into my home and behave like that and say hurtful things! I would never dream
    Of being so rude.This happened a few months back and I still haven't seen her since
    I just don't want that kind of negativity in my life x

That's awful Lynne. I agree, better off without judgemental people in your life! The irony is the friend who started this is now actually liking all my doll posts and is being super nice to me (lol). Maybe she realised that she had over-reacted!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information