+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Porcelain Enchanted Dolls 2004- 2016

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    I agree with you Bibarina, there's no doubt that Madame P. was a huge amount of work. But looking at the CBC video which was made in February last year, we see glimpses of Madame P. pretty much fully completed down to her wig and shoes. And when I look at the output in 2010 for example and consider the volume of work for just that one year, it just seems amazing to me. At least five of them had tattoos, and in the case of Lavanya and Anna Karenina, quite extensive ones. Also, the amount of new headpieces is just mind boggling. Captain Nemo's diving helmet, Predator's bird helmet, Specimen's beetle headpiece, Stockholm Syndrome/Beauty's elaborate crown and the amazing gothic headdress that Cathedral wears and many more besides!

Quote Originally Posted by merrijane View Post
    I agree with you Bibarina, there's no doubt that Madame P. was a huge amount of work. But looking at the CBC video which was made in February last year, we see glimpses of Madame P. pretty much fully completed down to her wig and shoes. And when I look at the output in 2010 for example and consider the volume of work for just that one year, it just seems amazing to me. At least five of them had tattoos, and in the case of Lavanya and Anna Karenina, quite extensive ones. Also, the amount of new headpieces is just mind boggling. Captain Nemo's diving helmet, Predator's bird helmet, Specimen's beetle headpiece, Stockholm Syndrome/Beauty's elaborate crown and the amazing gothic headdress that Cathedral wears and many more besides!
    Yes you are right merrijane! I had forgotten about a lot of the metal headpieces etc! Out of sight out of mind lol!! ;-)

the run-up to the Fragility show in 2010 was incredible. I don't know how she did it.

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Nor do I Chad! Obviously she didn't sleep that year!

Wow, the work that must have been involved- mind boggling.

Thanks Chad for chiming in- it's good to hear that even Marina worked her tail off for that amount of output- I cant even imagine how she got it all done.

I am glad that Marina doesn't have to kill herself quite so much now! It would be nice if she could enjoy her craft more instead of feeling chained to it.

I've noticed most artists who work for a living tend to start feeling burned out at times. My aunt (who is an artist) explained that once something becomes a job with deadlines and expectations- even the most romantic sounding and exciting jobs... become jobs. (They were animators which always seemed to me like a super fun job)
    Last edited by Galacticat; January 7th, 2017 at 02:36 AM.

Good golly what a list!!!

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (Home of the Kentucky Derby horse race & the worlds best Bourbons.
    Though some deadlines I suppose are necessary, it must be very difficult to produce if one doesn't feel inspired by something.

In terms of intensity of work loads, I just wanted to add in the last couple of years, the hither to unmentioned writing books, designing, producing, stringing resin dolls, teaching oneself to use and airbrush, painting face-ups and beading gowns and researching ideas, concepts, healing knees that is all pretty full on right there.

I do not know how 2010 was accomplished. There is the sweetest video, of Marina sewing a gown, (using a golfing term) and describing how there the thread she was using was the last bit.
    But she was determined that the doll not have a nudey bum showing, a la hospital gown style.

As Amal said, porcelain is such a labour intensive medium already, then add to that all the other fabulousness that Marina created alongside her dolls.

I also wanted to veer on a tangent here. Beading. Marina's beading work is to die for. I am presently beading and am fan-girling over Marina's beading.
    I am pouring over My new Enchanted Doll book. I love Marina's use of patterns whilst beading.

...Remember Weight of Light*? I revisited the blog post. Just wowwery. After looking at Little Red Riding Hood's cape and muff, I had crystals on my mind then remembered 'The Weight of Light'.

*swoony wowing sigh
    Last edited by Anna; January 12th, 2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: The Weight of Light... OMG
    vimeo flickr website
    Be kind
    trying to be zen

Wow, this is an amazing list!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information