+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doll that looks a lot like an ED

Doll that looks a lot like an ED

What do you think of this doll? https://www.flickr.com/photos/bellen...in/dateposted/

She looks a lot like an ED.

It looks like she is a face up artist? I see in the comments a lot of names from this forum that I recognize.

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Belle Nolia (Mai) is a lovely member of this forum and a very talented jewellery designer. I'm thrilled to see that she has embarked on making a doll. She has painted some wonderful Popovy faces and ED faces (some of my favourites) owned by forum members. Mai might have been inspired by Marina, as have countless other dollmakers, but I have no doubt that this will be a special doll and I can't wait to see the end result.

Her faceups are really nice. I could see from the comments she is popular with many collectors whose names I recognized from here and from other places.

Her work is beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing.

I agree with Merrijane - I don't see this sculpt as any more similar to Marina's dolls than so many others out there - they all share the same shape and jointing system. Also, I think it's worth considering that this is still a work-in-progress and I feel sure that Mai's own style will shine through in the finished doll - especially in the painting, costume and accessories.

Facebook ~ Flickr ~ DeviantArt

Her face looks unique - it's always sort of hard to imagine how a blank will look painted - but she doesn't look like either of my blank REDs. And she may have painted eyes? Even if I can't afford any more dolls at the moment, I love to see new BJD development

It does look like she is planning for painted eyes-

Quote Originally Posted by dollcat View Post
    Her face looks unique - it's always sort of hard to imagine how a blank will look painted - but she doesn't look like either of my blank REDs. And she may have painted eyes? Even if I can't afford any more dolls at the moment, I love to see new BJD development
    She looks to me more like the sculpt with the eyes- her the limbs jointing and body is also very similar. I agree the face is not exact, but it seems pretty clear she was intended to look like Marina's dolls.

merrijane is offline Adorned and bejeweled
    Galacticat, you may like to read the comments section of BelleNolia's most recent Flickr post, where she addresses this issue.

Looks like she may be getting ready to cast in silver or some kind of metal- that is definitely going to make for a different kind of look.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information