+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: News from Marina

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    This is pretty cool!

I think Marina may not be posting because let's face it you can waste the whole day being on the computer and then wonder what you accomplished. She is so busy maybe she is just working on her dolls or doing other things if she has no real news for us.

Also I think this place is not visited as much because there is no hope of getting an ED now unless you win the lottery so people give up and move on. I have my two resins so that keeps me somewhat interested but if I didn't have them I would most likely not come here. I find it kind of depressing knowing I will never get a porcelain now when I could have a few years ago if I had been lucky. I have her book so I can look at pictures there. I do enjoy seeing owners post pictures of their dolls though. I especially like seeing the really nice outfits some people have made or bought.

Slashy sometimes I do find myself wasting the whole day on the computer and have nothing to show for it. You are right about that, LOL!!

As far as inactivity goes, I wonder how many EDs are there in the world in private collections to sustain the forum? Dolls are occasionally bought and sold which triggers a little activity here but it doesn't last. If new dolls are not being released, the primary persons interested in posting at the forum are current doll owners. Possibly there could be 150 porcelain EDs + 100 REDs = 250 owners total in the world. There was one resin owner here on the forum that had (4) REDs . . . and one porcelain owner that admitted having (3) EDs. So now let's assume some people have at least two RED dolls or two porcelain EDs in their collection - that pares back the number of estimated contributors to less than 200 owners. There just isn't a very big pool of people to support the forum.

If you are inclined to try to publish your dolly pictures or profit from her, you sort of need your own sculpt, and all the die hard bjd fans seem to be making their own dolls - they want to own their work. It takes an inordinate amount of time to baby these dolls. I love mine but . . . the last of Marina's porcelains is a luxury item purchased by an elite celebrity. The marriage doll for me is symbolic of the power of money . . . rather than the social issues depicted in Marina's books. Maybe it's a win for feminism that a woman's plaything, the doll, can now be worth as much as a man's plaything, the Lamborghini?

Quote Originally Posted by Petraskova View Post
    This is pretty cool!
    I love the Eye in Sky artwork!!

So Den Of Angels seems pretty slow lately too- and that place is huge, with discussions of all BJDs, and as of just a few years ago used to have so many new posts in a day/hour that it was impossible to keep up.

So maybe the inactivity on this board is in part due to people not photographing their dolls or slow news from Marina (and also no chance of really owning a doll if you don't already have one) - but also because people I guess are moving away from forum style platforms in favor of the photo style places like Instagram?

I was wondering how Den of Angels was doing because the 2 other forums I frequent--Hearts of Clay and Popovy Doll Society are pretty dead as well. And both of those sites have lots of activity from their doll makers.(The Popovy sisters work ethic astounds me!!) So then I wonder, BJD's aren't falling out of fashion are they?

Galacticat might be on to something with the shift in platforms. Instagram just crushes everything else in activity, and is much easier for people to see updates from multiple sources. However it doesn't have the same level of interaction (like and move on) and has almost no interaction between followers. You can't build a community that way, but you can create a cult-like following.

Art should be discussed, it shouldn't be rated on a binary of "like or no like". Having said that, we've seen the other side of the coin with toxicity in anonymous comments. You could argue a horrible comment gives more feedback than 100 hearts, but nobody wants to read those awful things all the time.

I don't think it's a drop in interest in BJD, but a split in where the interest is, the quality of the interest, how the interest is being measured.

I think Chad is on to something with the Instagram! I have to admit, due to extreme personal circumstances this year, I have been unable to participate as much as I would like on the various forums and FB. I have used Instagram a lot more as it is so quick to keep up with people's posts and give a really quick response when time is so limited. I know several other online friends who have been in the same boat this year, and it is definitely not due to a lack of interest! We are still here!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Galacticat might be on to something with the shift in platforms. Instagram just crushes everything else in activity, and is much easier for people to see updates from multiple sources. However it doesn't have the same level of interaction (like and move on) and has almost no interaction between followers. You can't build a community that way, but you can create a cult-like following.

Art should be discussed, it shouldn't be rated on a binary of "like or no like". Having said that, we've seen the other side of the coin with toxicity in anonymous comments. You could argue a horrible comment gives more feedback than 100 hearts, but nobody wants to read those awful things all the time.

I don't think it's a drop in interest in BJD, but a split in where the interest is, the quality of the interest, how the interest is being measured.
    Yes, Instagram is what I was thinking of.

Pretty photos are well and good, but I agree it doesn't have the level of interaction or discussion that I prefer to gush with like minded friends about really moving or beautiful things like Marina's dolls.

But I am glad that there is at least an upside. The toxic comments by hateful online bullies secure in their anonymity- were pretty horrible. I'm glad those have disappeared as well.

I guess I'd better start figuring out Instagram...

Hi, I notice all forums are rather dead too. Im not sure about Instagram is taking its place, but maybe the era of forums has moved along and certainly the era of images and emoticons now rule .. but where do folk and collectors actaully get to chat and congregate? I know my interest in bjd hasn't changed but my time has been pulled elsewhere this year and off the forums, art-room and camera!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information