+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helmet

Helmet

So one of my favorite artists i really love is Camilla d'Errico. One of the reasons I discovered Marina was by searching on the internet for more pictures of Camilla's helmet girls- and I stumbled onto AI (who I think is owned by someone here). I couldn't believe how awesome a job Marina did, and later learned she had been inspired by Camilla's work.

Camilla had told me once (every time I see her or commission her I've bugged her about considering making dolls) that an artist doll maker had once told her that she would create a doll for her- but it turned out to be "not what she thought" I have always wondered if it was Marina she was talking about... maybe Camilla had thought that Marina would create a doll that Camilla could sell? Not sure.

At any rate, I do love d'Errico and Marina's own helmet, and have always wanted one! But I think I was too slow to ask to be added to the wait list, and I'm not sure that Marina ever made more than a few helmets anyway- so I think my chance is not great.

So I've been experimenting with some apoxie to try and make my own- it still looks pretty lumpy and not at all the look that I wanted, but practice makes perfect right? I'll have another go sometime soon... and I recently learned how to make convincing looking sewer-pipes out of plastic piping materials, so I'm hoping to integrate that look as well

Here's my first try- please forgive my beautiful girl for being bald- I need to dig out a smaller wig for her (the one she had on had a big pompador and would not fit under the helmet even though I sculpted it to have room for a wig...)

Last edited by Galacticat; August 31st, 2017 at 07:16 PM.

Great work!! Jeekers you are very inventive! As a maker of things I would love to have a go at making a helmet. I love Camilla d'Errico's work and Marina's helmets are magical Bravo! More pictures!
    vimeo flickr
    Be kind
    trying to be zen

I love the dialogue with your helmet picture!! This one has the right vibes, you got in the ballpark on your first try! I don't see any of the lumps and bumps you mentioned? The little handles on the helmet turned out cute

Thanks you guys! I guess not lumpy so much as just not uniform- it still looks like clay and not very industrial-

I made another that looks a little more smooth- but less exciting...(below). I crammed it on my AE doll for now since it matches
    It looks a little more even, but the lines still look cartoonish and more like sculpting than industrial looking... so lesson learned! I tried using some wire- but it doesn't really look quite right either...

I'm realizing the first place I've gone wrong is in failing to adequately build up the armature- I think it would look better depending on what I'm smoothing the clay over... and I plan to integrate other materials which might get it closer to what I was thinking...

Anyway, fun crafty day stuff

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information