+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Copy or inspiration ?

Copy or inspiration ?

https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I'm confused. Does it look like Marina's doll or not ?

https://web.facebook.com/paulinagrav...xszvrd16C_QYxo

Sorry I don't know how to make this pic smaller
    Last edited by kapiszonka; November 15th, 2017 at 06:55 PM.

Well, she is clearly showing where she is getting her inspirations from.
    For more pictures of Gwen, Arya and Moira, click here

hmmm artists do it ? I remember Rafael Nuri's issue and nobody was happy. So this is okay, am I right ?

You can legally copy anything, anything at all. Where it gets sticky is if you A. try to sell it, or B. claim it as your own. This artist is simply making a 'master copy' of one of Marina's designs and being completely transparent about her references--no harm in that. She's doing beautiful work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by nenethomas View Post
    You can legally copy anything, anything at all. Where it gets sticky is if you A. try to sell it, or B. claim it as your own. This artist is simply making a 'master copy' of one of Marina's designs and being completely transparent about her references--no harm in that. She's doing beautiful work so far.
    The facebook page does reference a "customer" who wants a doll in "that style". I think it is a thin line. I do agree it is beautiful.

Marina inspires many doll artists. I think when the right time comes, they will find their own style of doll making :-)

I did not realize it was for a customer, thanks for the clarification.

@nune2010 Oh yes indeed. Marina is quite an inspiration! I love her work so much and she is literally incomparable. In my mind she is the pinnacle of the doll world!

Artists can try and copy Marina's dolls, but they will never look EXACTLY the same as Marina's.

Honestly this piece looks pretty different to me- the artist on facebook is definitely using Marina's crown as inspiration- and it does look similar- but up close it is really not at all alike.

The pattern itself is not original to Marina after all, she was inspired herself from a fairy tale illustration- (I think the Snow Queen?) I think clothing/costume items in particular are always going to come out differently. I would feel totally different if the artist were re-casting dolls or jewelry/metal items. Sculpting something to look exactly alike falls more into a grey area, but here I don't see that problem. Nobody would ever mistake the artist's piece (which is very pretty) for Marina's (which is utterly amazing)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information