+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Copy or inspiration ?

Yes, Galacticat!

Quote Originally Posted by Galacticat View Post
    Honestly this piece looks pretty different to me- the artist on facebook is definitely using Marina's crown as inspiration- and it does look similar- but up close it is really not at all alike.

The pattern itself is not original to Marina after all, she was inspired herself from a fairy tale illustration- (I think the Snow Queen?) I think clothing/costume items in particular are always going to come out differently. I would feel totally different if the artist were re-casting dolls or jewelry/metal items. Sculpting something to look exactly alike falls more into a grey area, but here I don't see that problem. Nobody would ever mistake the artist's piece (which is very pretty) for Marina's (which is utterly amazing)
    You are so right. The piece is lovely but Marina's work is otherworldly.

I so, agree with you, Syaron!

They are dolls in the style of Marinas but I don't think they look the same. Let's face it you can change the doll body only so much before it looks like you are copying. The faces are not really like Marinas but similar. Marina is in a class of her own and that can't be copied unless you use her doll as a mold. I am sure there may be a few of those around for us to not see.

The doll finished. Not a word about Marina

Yes the doll is faaaaar far cry from Marina's work, but in my opinion it's still not okay. Why ? because the artist should not copy another artist for financial purposes. I don't see any info that it was inspired by Marina Bychkova by that artist. So if you don't know who Marina is you will think that this is original work. I don't know how to explain it. This is not okay

Sorry
    Last edited by kapiszonka; December 2nd, 2017 at 10:53 AM.

Speaking of re-creating someone else's designs for financial gain, I've always wondered how tattoo shops get away with all the Disney, Marvel, DC, anime characters, celebrity likenesses, sports, product and political logos that they recreate. It's curious, and apparently completely acceptable?

I don't think that this looks at all, like an Enchanted doll.

The artist Paulina has posted several long responses to criticisms related to this doll at her FB page under the Dec 1 8:44 pm picture set. If you are interested, a lot of the comments are buried - to see the full dialogue one has to click "see more responses" several times to get them onscreen.
    Last edited by dollcat; December 4th, 2017 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Correction

You vs the Doll she tells you not to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    You vs the Doll she tells you not to worry about

Sorry Chad, I don't understand your comment. I feel a little " dumb " right now, lol......

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information