+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marina's name being used on Ebay by a seller?

Marina's name being used on Ebay by a seller?

Hi! I think I know the answer to this but has anyone else seen this listing on Ebay? It is not a doll by Marina but her name is being used in the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MADE-TO-ORD...e/152835521116

I also saw that. It is not fair that this Seller mentions in her description, that this particular doll is " Marina Bychkova style ED " It is nothing like Marina's doll, really. This seller should really try and sell this doll, using, only her own name and only, the style of dolls that she creates, no one else's, I think.

I agree! It is rather unscrupulous in my opinion.

Actually, doing this violates ebays terms. Ebay has a name for it, I forget what it is...

I think that is likely why the listing is now over- someone probably reported it.

This is the same seller I'd mentioned before. And sorry you all said OH COME ON GIVE A BREAK

So I was right !!

and here is a link to another active ebay auction

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MADE-TO-ORD....c100037.m2107
    Last edited by kapiszonka; January 26th, 2018 at 09:56 PM.

Similar auctions show the name "Amado Gravagno" in the photos.
    The artist's Facebook page .... well.... definitely looks like they're trying to ride on Marina's coattails with that profile image. It looks identical to Marina's ED icon.

https://www.facebook.com/porcelainbj...2306947865889/

That said, this artist seems incredibly talented and shouldn't feel the need to compare to Marina or ED. Yes, the dolls are similar, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and certainly many have been and will continue to be inspired by Marina's work. But I think to claim that porcelain BJDs are "ED style" is a bit of a stretch.There are many other porcelain and resin doll artists whose dolls orbit the Marina aesthetic. Can't they all just be stars in a wonderful galaxy?

(sorry if I went OT!)

Her work is pretty yes- but not even remotely comparable to Marina's. I don't think it is similar enough to constitute an infringement or a copy. It could never pass for the original, not even close.

What the artist is doing on ebay is still WRONG though. She's using Marina's own name and the name of Enchanted Doll to try and draw more hits. It's called "search and browse manipulation" She's appropriating someone elses copyrighted name for advertising and for profit. That is actually illegal in the US, and I assume Canada as well. If I were Marina's lawyer I'd send her a cease and desist. But I'm not. Plus maybe Marina and Chad don't even care.

Maybe what she is doing isn't illegal in her Country, but even if not, it is still wrong and still a violation of ebay rules. Also it bothers me and doesn't seem ethical. I've reported the listing under the appropriate category for listing violations. I think ebay will take it down shortly.

Again, not the work itself (which is a pale shadow of what it is trying to emulate) but the wrongful usage of Marina's name and Enchanted Doll for profit.

Enchanted doll is still in the listing title, but Bychkova is cited as a source of inspiration, in the description . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MADE-TO-ORD...AAAOSwj99aOl4u

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information